Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 EAR PLUGS. ALL THE TIME. NO EXCEPTIONS! >

EAR PLUGS. ALL THE TIME. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

EAR PLUGS. ALL THE TIME. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default EAR PLUGS. ALL THE TIME. NO EXCEPTIONS!

After struggling with hearing loss for a lot of years, I finally broke down and ordered a set of hearing aids. I'm sure there has been a lotof causes, like chainsaws, heavy equipment and the like, but shooting without earplugs when I was young is a big part of my deafness. When I was a kid, wearing hearing protection was for wimps. Talk about a stupid mind set. So thirty five years later I just plunked down $4200 so I can hear a deer in the brush. I think about all the cool stuff I could have bought with that money (a new bow, another rifle, a quad) and i want to cry.

SO DON'T EVER FORGET TO WEAR YOUR HEARING PROTECTION.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: EAR PLUGS. ALL THE TIME. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I agree I got a new 9mm (Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle) and my dad and I went out to shoot it, well a clip each later and we were through. I couldn't hear out of my left ear for three days. I broke down and got some plugs they now stay in my glove box and I wear them whenever I am target practicing.

I don't wear themin the woods though. I may regret it later.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fortunately, I learned to shoot a few years back along with my 12 year old daughter. In having to set an example for her I made sure i always wore hearing protection and eye protection. I have also found that some of my shooting inaccuracies (due to flinching)were do to muzzle blast and not recoil. When I increased my hearing protection on my bigger guns, i was able to tighten my groups
Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 PM

i agree. i always flinched when i didn't have earplugs when shooting a centerfire rifle. now i always have earplugs and man i can shoot all day!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

After struggling with hearing loss for a lot of years, I finally broke down and ordered a set of hearing aids. I'm sure there has been a lotof causes, like chainsaws, heavy equipment and the like, but shooting without earplugs when I was young is a big part of my deafness. When I was a kid, wearing hearing protection was for wimps. Talk about a stupid mind set. So thirty five years later I just plunked down $4200 so I can hear a deer in the brush. I think about all the cool stuff I could have bought with that money (a new bow, another rifle, a quad) and i want to cry.

SO DON'T EVER FORGET TO WEAR YOUR HEARING PROTECTION.
I agree. When I take a hearing test the first part of the graph is flat because I can't hear the frequency. I was working around a 8000 hp compressor and the noise wasn't very loud to me but all the other people in there said they could barely stand the noise without ear plugs. It is too late for me the damage is already done but I can prevent it from getting worse.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:03 AM

I have a question. Maybe someone on here can answer. I too have done a fair amount of shooting without hearing protection in the past. I always wondered why at the range my ears range after a shot and in the woods shooting at game my ears never ring.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,
If your range is like mine it may have a cover. That makes for additional noise IMO. Also, just like you don't feel recoil after the shot at an animal you may not realize your ears are ringing. Just a thought
Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that your senses get so hightened for the shot, that you just flat out dont really hear it. My gunsmith and I where talking about putting a muzzle break on my .270 to lessen the recoil for me a bit more. I said "but then it would be so loud" and he told me back "I personally have never heard a shot that I have made on a deer" and that got me to thinking, and I cannot recall hearing a shot made at a deer either. I know that with myself though, when target practicing I have to wear hearing protection nowdays. I deal with chronic neck and back pain nowdays and without hearing protection my muscles cramp up really bad without it.[:@] It might sound strange for me to say that, but it is the honest to god truth. I built a hunting blind/shooting stand and keep a pair of ears phones in it just for shooting.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Shato,
I would have to agree with Danny D. Asked the rangemaster this year while sighting in for the elk hunt and he mentioned the cover and "dykes" surrounding the range played a big part.

CZ2506-Thanks for the input, I will wearear/eye protection at the range, but find that I only wear ear plugs half the time with a shotgun and never on the riflehunt. My buddy asked me this year where my ear plugs were, and replied that I don't think they're needed with one shot. Wasn't trying to be macho, it's just one extra thing to remember and bring along hunting. Shots here and there add up though. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see people that are just starting not wanting to wear them and I just tell them do you want your hearing as bad as mine? They normally put them on then. I did the same thing with my brother when his back was bothering him from a pinched nerve. He wouldn't go to see the doctor said it will get better but I reminded him how bad mine is and he didn't want his like mine. Right after I told him I turned and my back dislocated again and I fell to the ground. He went to the doctor that week.

Quick Reply: EAR PLUGS. ALL THE TIME. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.