Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Striker 7mm-08 >

Savage Striker 7mm-08

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Striker 7mm-08

Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Savage Striker 7mm-08

I was out shopping for a good deal on a rifle that my female cousin, who is in her 20's,could use the next couple of years until my children are old enough to start hunting. I found a used 7mm-08 Rem (youth) Model 7 that would have sufficed, but was having difficulty deciding between it and either an Encore SS or Pro Hunter SS. Ihave enjoyed using anEncore pistol in 7mm-08 and think it would be nice to expand the collection of options for pistol/rifle configurations for myself and my family.

I was in the process of heading out of the store to think about my options when I saw aSavage Striker smiling at mefrom its' perch on a deer skin ina glass case.

After checking the pistol overmydecision of what to purchase wasn't so hard after all. The pistol looks very clean with no marks on the frame or barrel. It's topped with a 4x Simmons that might be swapped with a Burris 3-12 ballplex and par adj once I have had a chance to take the pistol to the range and make sure it's a shooter (might be able to get out Wednesday after I pick it up). The original box and paper work look clean as well.

I have been very pleased with my Encore, so I am not sure what draws me to the Savage Striker (especially since this one doesn't have the thumbhole grip and is just a black syn stock). I have seen strikers for sale from time to time, but I guess since they are no longer made I just felt the need to pick this one up.

Now I might justbuy a 7mm-08 rifle barrel, stock and forend to set up with my Encore frame for my cousin to use.

Anyone else have a similar curiosity to the Striker or experiences (good or bad) to share?

Thanks,

J

Old 10-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Savage Striker 7mm-08

I wish I could find one in 7-08. All I ever seem to see around here are the 308s. I'm still 1/2 tempted to take it home. Maybe when I come back from my elk hunt.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have been looking for one for a while now. Where are you located and what store is it at?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM

#40Fan,
I found the Striker at Scheels in Appleton, Wisconsin. They had one in .308 last year with the custom wood thumbhole grip, but Iheld offfora 7mm-08. I have also seen them in gunshops in Oshkosh and through FFL dealers in Waupaca, but they were always on hold (someone else got to them before I did). There are quite a few hunters in the Waupaca County area of Wisconsin that use the Striker because it'sshotgun/pistol only. There are a handful of guys that believe the .260 is the most accuratecaliber striker and use that for deer hunting, but the only .260 Strikers I have held will only be sold by next of kin.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I picked one of them up when they first came out. Its a 7mm-08 and love this round,thought it mite be a little heavy on the recoil end. Its not as bad as the 45Colt in a Ruger Blackhawk. I use a Stoney Point adjustable mono pod to help steady it. Have killed several deer with it,one at 200yds. Would like to find a shoulder holster to fit it. Took a little getting used to the left handed bolt, but now its a piece of cake.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Zeak,
Ihave a stoney point pole cat bi-pod that I have been using for my 7mm-08 Encore pistol and will use it for the Striker. I really like how solid the stoney point is compared to some other flimsy sticks I have tried in stores.

If you wouldn't mind, what was the cost ofyour Savage Striker (new or used and whatmodel)?

Thanks,
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Zeak,
I just put the Striker into my Uncle Mikes CamoBandolier Holster (Size 13) that I have for my Encore. It's a tight squeeze but theStriker with scopedoes fit. The Simmons 4x Pro Hunter is a shorter scope than my Burris 3-12 and I don't have flip up scope covers on it yet, so that may make a difference. I also had to un-velcro the flap in order to snap it closed. A 5 inch velcro strip would be needed to secure the flap tight, but since the holster strap runs through the flap, you could get by without keeping the flap attached on the back.
The holster itself can slide around while wearing it, because there is just the one loop strap. The Uncle Mikes holster I have for my .44 SRH loops over the shoulder and then around the waist to hook back onto the holster, which keeps the pistol secured over the chest.
I wouldcheckprices at your local sporting stores for prices, I think I found mine on sale at a Gander Mtn.for less than $50 around 3-4 years ago.I saw it for $80 online at one sight, butfound it at "Cheaper Than Dirt" for $43.