Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gun Cleaning??? >

Gun Cleaning???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Cleaning???

Old 01-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun Cleaning???

At what point do you consider a gun barrel to be clean? The reason I ask is because I can clean my Rem .270 with patches and solvent until the patches come out perfectly clean. Then run the bronze brush through it and the next patch comes out nearly black. I've been doing this all day now and the patch comes out black everytime after you run the brush through it.

I use Hoppe's #9 solvent, cotton cleaning pathes, and a phosphor bronze bore brush. I clean the gun after 4 to 5 rounds when sighting it in and anytime it is shot during the hunting season. Am I doing/using something wrong or is this normal?
Old 01-12-2003, 03:29 PM

Default RE: Gun Cleaning???

sounds like you are getting the residue off the cleaning brush
Old 01-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Nope, it's not the brush. I thought about that after posting so I got out a brand new brush. Same thing happened. I did notice that the patches from earlier today that came out of the barrel dark gray had now turned bluish green after sitting for a while. Could I have a copper fouling problem?
Old 01-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll offer an opinion.....and I'm not an expert....just a guy with a lot of shots behind him....ok?

There's two things you need to remove from your barrel....

1. powder residue

2. copper fowling.

This isn't a .22 rimfire where you're trying to remove lead!!!!

If you remove the copper fowling, you've also removed the powder residue.

Find a (ammonia smelling) copper remover...Sweets is my brand.....and using a bore mop, swab the bore a dozen times with the copper remover. Let it set.....have a couple beers.....swab it some more....have a few more beers.....and then using a phosphor bronze brush........brush the hell out of the bore...at lease ten complete strokes and then with a new dry mop, flush the bore clean.....one more time, using a lightly lubricated mop...swab the bore to leave a lightly lubricated effect.

As far as I know, there's no test for clean......but if you do this......you'll be in good shape....

Most barrels don't need this harsh of cleaning but every hundred rounds....but this style of cleaning is actually good for the barrel......not harmful at all.......I never recommend use of the stainless steel brushes....
Old 01-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys!!! I'm sure by now that all the powder residue is gone so the Hoppes #9 must not be getting out the copper. The only bullets that have been in this gun for the last 7 years are ballistic tips and Hornaday SST's so I know lead isn't a problem. I'll get me some copper solvent and give that a try. Thanks again for the info.

Shane
Old 01-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I clean my rifles here is what I do:

I run about three patches (depending how dirty it is) saturated with Shooters Choice. I then run a bronzes brush through the bore untill I can see I have removed most of the residue. I then use J-B's to polish up the bore, and remove the rest of the residue. I then use CR-10 with a nylon brush to remove all the copper fouling untill the patch comes out white. I then use the nylon brush with Shooters Choice to remove all the CR-10. I then coat a patch with gun oil to protect the bore from rust. If you stick a Q-tip in the muzzle, and look at the bore one can see how clean it is. It takes awhile, but it is the most efficient way I have found. Good luck.

Edited by - handloader1 on 01/12/2003 23:23:41
Old 01-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

If I go to the range and shoot a half box of off the shelf ammo...lets say Winchester Super X ammo ( I know the cheap stuff)...should I follow the same cleaning process?
Old 01-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

s4bill:

I would and do. Good luck.