Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scope Question:  50mm objective vs. standard? >

Scope Question: 50mm objective vs. standard?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope Question: 50mm objective vs. standard?

Old 01-12-2003, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scope Question: 50mm objective vs. standard?

I am planning on buying a new scope for a custom .338-06 I am having built. The gun's intended purpose is elk hunting in thick timber. I'm sure it will get plenty of other use, as well. My question is, does a 50mm objective make a great deal of difference in the black timber? Does it really gather more light and make shooting easier?

Also, does it hinder you in wide open country when the sun is shining?

Right now, my choices are narrowed down to the Leupold VXIII in 2.5-8x36mm (standard diameter objective) or the Leupold VXII 3-9x50mm. I would even consider the VXIII 3.5-10x50mm, if you think it is a significantly better scope that the VXII.

Does the larger objective increase field of view?

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 01-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope Question: 50mm objective vs. standard?

the higher objective the more you will see....it will be easy to find targets quiqly and will gather light better in low light conditions...it will be a fine field rifle also...most of my scopes are like 20 something objective and my leupold is 40...i love the leupold...i got on a running deer in a thicket and was on her so good i dropper her on a run in a thicket..in low light conditions...it was like i was swinning a shotgun...i never looked through a 50..that may be kinda big...but i dont know for sure...
Old 01-12-2003, 02:35 PM

The diameter of the objective lense determines the field of view visible through the scope; the larger the objective lens, the wider the field of view. Also, the larger the objective lense, the greater the resolution, brightness, and clearity.

The 50mm objective lense WILL gather more available light while providing a clearer image and give you a few minutes extra shootable light at the beginning and end of the day. I have a 40mm and a 50mm and there is a difference.

Your pick of the Leupold VXII 3-9x50mm is a great choice.

Happy Hunting!
Old 01-12-2003, 03:32 PM

the 50 is great in all low light conditions. it will distort somewhat in the field if very sunny. if it is adjustable you can bring it down sum
Old 01-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been looking at scopes since mid November and ended up ordering a Leupold 3-9 x 50mm European-30... Every one I talked to said that going with a larger objective lens or a 30mm main tube would gather more light for hunting at low light conditions... This European scope has both... I'm not sure why but the European-30 scopes are available for sale outside of the U.S.A. according to the Leupold web page... I had also looked at the Bushnell Elite 3200 that also had both features I was looking for but didn't like the crosshairs and the 3/8" click value @ 100 yds... I'll be trying my new scope this summer and hope I will have made the right choice.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:28 PM

As the others have said, the 50mm will be an advantage in low light situations. I kicked the idea around a bit myself a while back. Seemed like the 40mm was pretty much the standard. I figured if the 50mm gave that much of an improvement, more people would use them, and they'd be that much more common. Decided to go with the 40mm.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:40 PM

Between the VX-II and the Var-X III, I would go with the VX-II 3-9x50. You will not notice much difference between the 2, but you will not the difference on your pocket book.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
Old 01-12-2003, 05:10 PM

Don't forget that the larger the objective the higher the mount. Also clarity & light transmission have more to do with lense quality and coatings than objective size. If you can justify the extra $$ consider the Swarovski PV 2.5 to 10 42mm. with 4A Reticle. It's amazing. gg.

"When I was born I was so surprised I couldn't talk for a year and a half"
Old 01-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Goodguy makes a very good point. Lens quality probably makes more difference than anything else. I have a Tasco World Class Plus 3.5X10X50mm and my son has a Leupold Vari-X II 3X9X40. His scope is quite a bit brighter than mine. The clearity is a little better also. I'm ordering a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5X14X50 in about 2 weeks. I can't wait!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I find my 3x10x42 swarovski's just as bright or brighter than the leupold 3.5x10x50 varix iii due to superior lens coatings.They are also more compact and can be mounted lower.

Quick Reply: Scope Question: 50mm objective vs. standard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.