Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Federal Fusion vs. Core-Lokt's >

Federal Fusion vs. Core-Lokt's

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Federal Fusion vs. Core-Lokt's

Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Federal Fusion vs. Core-Lokt's

Hello to everyone. I've finally joined on site after viewing for quite sometime.

With a new rifle I find myself tempted to try something new. I have been using Core-lokt's for the past 20 years with great success on Texas whitetails and hogs up to 300 lbs. On my lease shots can range from 50 to 300 yards as well.

I have read that the Fusion line from Federal has been very accurate, but I am wondering what its real world performance has been. I will be shooting my new .270 this year.

Thank you,

TX7Mag
Old 08-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Federal Fusion vs. Core-Lokt's

I used some last year, it worked good. A guy could probably never tell a difference between the too. I think the fusion is said to be a little more durable. The fusion is a boatail design, not sure if core lokt is .
Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Federal's version of the Core-Lokt is actually called Power-Shok.

I use them in my .308, and it's the most freakin' accurate thing ever to exit my rifle. The velocity is stronger, as is the recoil, but it doesn't bother me, anyway, the Powershoks group one inch higher than Hornady SST ballistic tips.

Try the Powershoks and see if they work well in your rifle, they only cost $13.40 or something at your local Wal-Mart, and twice as much at your local gun store.

Josiah
Old 08-16-2007, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TX7Mag

Hello to everyone. I've finally joined on site after viewing for quite sometime.

With a new rifle I find myself tempted to try something new. I have been using Core-lokt's for the past 20 years with great success on Texas whitetails and hogs up to 300 lbs. On my lease shots can range from 50 to 300 yards as well.

I have read that the Fusion line from Federal has been very accurate, but I am wondering what its real world performance has been. I will be shooting my new .270 this year.

Thank you,

TX7Mag

Welcome TX!

The Core-Lokt is one of the earlier controlled-expansion bullets. It is a refinement of the old Peters Inner-Belted design, and was so good compared to plain cup-and-draw bullets that even Elmer Keith had good things to say about them. These bullets are fine for thin-skinned game up to elk size, and in several of my rifles, they have proved very accurate to boot.

I don't think the Fusion has been in use long enough for a real performance database to have been developed with which to compare it to the Core-Lokt (or any other bullet, for than matter.) However, there is no doubt in my mind that almost any jacketed bullet is good enough to kill the Texas whitetails I've seen, except for perhaps those down around Kingsville! They are NOT elk or moose, after all! BUT 300-pound hogs might provide a differentchallenge. So, since the Core-Lokt works on the hogs too, carry some with you when you test the Fusion on a hog.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used the Fusions the season before last. I took nine mule deer with nine shots with the 130 grain 270's. They shot about one inch groups from my 700 Remington. I also doubt that you would see any big difference on deer from the 270 but they performed well. They expanded well and didn't do excess meat damage. All of the shots were between 75 and 225 yards,
Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Tex!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Spike

I have killed some deer with both. The Fusion 130 grain bullets are accurate out of my .270, so they got the nod last year. The deer died just the same as the one killed with the Core-lokt bullet the year before. They both held together well, penetrated through bone, and exited the deer allowing for what I assume would have been easy blood trail tracking (neither went anywhere, they dropped immediately)

FWIW, both shots were at around 80-100 yards, and both deer were around 200-220 pounds.

I reload the Core-Lokts for my .30-30, as they seem to be more accurate out of that rifle than the Fusion loads. I would shoot whichever one is more accurate, because they'll both kill deer and hogs deader than dead.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking to try Fusions later this season, as I've heard many good things about them since last year.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: TX7Mag

I have read that the Fusion line from Federal has been very accurate, but I am wondering what its real world performance has been.
Everyrifle is different and most times any particular rifle will shoot one load better than another. With that said, my Rem 7600 7mm-08 did NOT like the Fusnons at all. Could not do better that 1 1/2" groups at 100 Yds and most were closer to 2"

This is the first factory ammo I've tried in either of my 7mm-08's and I'll be sticking to my handloads from now on. Only reason I tried factory this time is I had just moved to TX, didn't have my reloading equpment down her yet and got a real bug to go to the range for some shooting.

The best thing to do is go buy a box and see how they shoot in YOUR gun.

firstshot
-------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Shot a buck at 16 yds with 165 gr fusions in 308 last year. Dropped in tracks. Heart and lungs looked like jello. I practiced on paper and prairie dogs out to about 225 yards. Shot pretty good for a light barreled savage with a$75scope. It's my backup to mybackup to my backup rifle. Corelokts are a proven winner though.