Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Serial number match >

Serial number match

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Serial number match

Old 08-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Serial number match

I am looking at a rifle that has a bolt with a different serial number engraved on it that what is stamped on the receiver/barrel.
The action works fine but I have not shot the rifle yet.

Does anyone know if this is a major concern?

Thanks,

CH
Old 08-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Serial number match

Can't see why it wopuld be such a concern. With the parts being such mass produced, a bolt from model A1 will fit model A2 and A3, etc. The #ers are just for assembly line purposes I'd think. Well, unless it's some fancy smancy custom hand lapped gun.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It CAN be a major concern. The headspace should definitely be checked by a competent gunsmith to determine if it is correct. Mismatched serial numbers can cause serious problems. A good friend of mine once changed bolts in a 303 British. The bolt seemed to work fine. Upon firing the gun, it blew the bolt and action apart. He was very lucky all he received were a few minor scratches and a big scare. Most definitely HAVE IT CHECKED!!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not shoot it until the 'smith says it passed!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: CamoHunter

I am looking at a rifle that has a bolt with a different serial number engraved on it that what is stamped on the receiver/barrel.
The action works fine but I have not shot the rifle yet.
Does anyone know if this is a major concern?
Thanks, CH
[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

Can't see why it wopuld be such a concern. With the parts being such mass produced, a bolt from model A1 will fit model A2 and A3, etc. The #ers are just for assembly line purposes I'd think. Well, unless it's some fancy smancy custom hand lapped gun.
[/blockquote]

This gentleman iswrong. I don't know what your rifle is, but the headspace of a batch of military bolt-action weapons is very likely to be different from one rifle to another. The reason for putting the number on the bolt is so the troops wouldn't use the WRONG BOLT in a rifle! Bolts were individually fitted and headspaced when the barrels were installed.

Yes, it is a potential problem! Rifles with mismatched bolts have a greater chance of having excessive headspace.

Get the headspace checked by a qualified gunsmith who has a correct headspace gauge for that caliber. If it is OK, then that is one hurdle behind you. I would not shoot that rifle until the 'smith says it passed!

[/blockquote]
Old 08-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on the advice about getting he headspace checked. Just becase a bolt fits a rifle becase its th same model doesn't mean its safe to shoot
Old 08-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry fellas, I guess my brain was seeing things funny. Fior some reason it took me a third time reading this to realize i was thinking about the slde on a handgun rather than a rifle bolt. Another forum had a person inquire about a handgun he'd bought in which the #s on the slide didn't match those on the frame. I was still in that brain wave before I guess. In a bolt gun where headspacing is a critical safety factor, ys, defianyely get this checked out. it may be fine but bettersafe than sorry with firearms.