Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 how to make a rifle rust resistant >

how to make a rifle rust resistant

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how to make a rifle rust resistant

Old 07-21-2007, 10:34 AM

Default how to make a rifle rust resistant

Hey guys. My remington 700 ADL has a bad problem w/ surface rust. I'm not sure as to what the deal is because I use break free and other high quality lubricants and preservatives pretty regular. Was wondering if there is anything i can do to make my rifle more rust resistant. Don't care what it looks like really(it can be a camo'd spray paint for all i care) just don't want it to keep rusting. Any ideas?The finish on these new 700's are just not what they were 5 years ago, IMHO.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to make a rifle rust resistant

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...DuraCoat.shtml
Old 07-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

First and foremost, you need to remove every trace of rust. Use steel wool and penetrating oil- wd-40 WD-40 works good for this, or you can use a rust/blueing remover. If you don't get rid of all of the rust, it will continue to rust.

Second: ditch the Break-free. Some people swear by it, I swear at it. Its good for military rifles where everything is anodized or parkerized, but not so good on blued guns. I tested several protectants on some nails that I pounded into a board and left outside- Breakfree was one of the worst protectants, Birchwood Casey Sheath was one of the best.
I would also put a light coat of RIG grease on the exposed metal. You can put this on in a very finefilm and it is a very good (if not one of the very best)protectant. Don't put this stuff in the bore or chamber though- its a grease.

The finish on these new 700's are just not what they were 5 years ago, IMHO.
No kidding. Talk about putting cheapo finishes on guns. If it makes you feel better, I had an early run Rem 597 that wouldn't stop rusting even though it was never exposed to rain or salt- the cheap krylon spray paint looking factory finish on top of roughly finished metal parts was just terrible[:'(]This rifle rusted nonstop even though it was kept in a cabinet with 100+ year old blued military rifles that never had a spec of rust on them.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Make sure you store it in an open area, maybe with a small dehydrator or light on to keep water off of it.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i had that problem with my brand new SPS varmint. its not blued, but a matte finish. never in the rain, never wet...i couldnt figure it out. only gun out of a pile in my room that would rust. i put a dehumidifier in my room and no more rust on it. not totally sure why only IT would rust when theres countless guns in my room...but it did....now it dont. i kept it whiped down and clean too...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Here's a link on the same subject, pretty good read.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=503
Old 07-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Briman gave you the answer. Once you've got all the rust off, uyse SHEATH. I use it, and I have a flintlock Jaeger rifle that is finished "armoury bright", all polished steel parts with no bluing, brown, or anything exceptSHEATH on the bare steel. It has not developed any rust here in southern PA.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Another option after you get the surface rust off is have a Dura-Coating installed on metal surfaces. They say that is pretty weather resistance teflon based coating. Look at a web search on Dura-Coat. Costs around $150.00 to $200.00 Through a Dealer. Aslo if you want muti-collors or just one standard color.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta have conitions tht'll cause the rust. Seems like there's a bit too much moisture in the area in which you store the gun. Eliminate the moisture and you eliminate the rust. if a refinish is a must, why go cheap and end up with a crappy finish? Do it right. I'd go wth Robar. I guess if quilty isn't an option Krylon enamel would do - bak it for a harder finish. Surface prep is everything.