Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .257 Roberts for Deer >

.257 Roberts for Deer

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.257 Roberts for Deer

Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

ORIGINAL: James B

Just my Opinion, but I would rather work that hunt deer with a 243.
Just my opinion... you are on drugs.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You all must be new, JamesB has a biased opinion on the .243. A 100 gr .257 cant touch the performance of a 100 gr .243. The Bob needs at least 117 gr preferably 120 gr to compare in performance of the .243. The .257 needs to be hanloaded, if using factory ammo go with the .243.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

I'm with you James. I like the .243 just fine (though I fancy the 6mm Rem more), but the advantages to having just a little bit larger bullet diameter and a heavier bullet with that .257 or the .250-3000 make it a little bit better choice in my opinion.
Again, limiting my comments to factory loads, I'm not sure I see any advantage to using the "little bit larger bullet diameter and the heavier bullet" in the Roberts over the .243. Even with the 117 gr .257 +P load from Winchester, the 100 gr. .243 has more energy at 100 yards and beyond, and sighting both in at 200 yards, the .243 is flatter shooting by 12"over a400 yard trajectory. Do you really think deer are going to drop any better when they're hit less hard by a bullet that weighs only 17 gr. more and has a diameter that is only 14 thousands of aninch larger? If you assume that you need a minimum of 1000 ft lbs of energy for a clean deer kill, the 100 gr. .243 is a 325 yard deer rifle, and the 117 gr. .257+P is a 250 yard deer rifle. Again.... I'm not denigrating the Roberts at all, as I think it's a great deer rifle, particularly considering that most deer are shot at well under 200 yards, but, I really fail to see any advantage over the .243 unless you're a handloader.
I wasn't limiting your comment to anything. I am a handloader as well. The onlyammo I shoot that is factory loaded is 30-30 Win, and thats only tofireform brass for my 30/30 A.I.

Don't take everything as an attack on your person, intelligence or abilities. I was just sharing my opinion, which happened to be the same as James'.

If you want to limit statements, then I'd have to say that your arguement on 400 yard trajectories is totally moot, because in my hunting scenarios, my longest shot is only about 175 yards. The humidity and mirage are so bad in the south that even if I had 400 open yards (and deer don't linger in the open very long), I couldn't hit them anyway.
I wasn't taking anything as a personal attack. I was sharing my opinion, just like you were. I tend to doubt that the original poster is a handloader, as he had never heard of the Roberts before, which is why I was restricting my comments to factory loadings. And, I found it very odd that folks were gushing praise over the Roberts, while denigrating the .243, which, in factory loads, has a solid edge in performance. I'm sorry, but 17 grains of bullet weightand 14 thousandths of an inch of diameterdo not make the Roberts a better deer cartridge, particularly when the .243 has 100 ft lbs more energy at 100 yards and 200+ more ft lbs at 200 yards, and that's with the +P loading in the .257. As I've said all along, the .257 is an excellent deer cartridge. But, it's notany better than the .243.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is reaching back a bit, but I think I remember reading years ago that the great Jack O'Connor's wife used the .257 almost exclusively.
Yeah, I know..... so what??
Old 07-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two whitetails and a mulie hanging on the wall.....two of them taken with a .257 Roberts......the smaller of the three was taken with a .375 H&H!

It don't take a lot to kill deer, the .257 Roberts is excellent at it.

(so is the .243)
Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't taking anything as a personal attack. I was sharing my opinion, just like you were. I tend to doubt that the original poster is a handloader, as he had never heard of the Roberts before, which is why I was restricting my comments to factory loadings. And, I found it very odd that folks were gushing praise over the Roberts, while denigrating the .243, which, in factory loads, has a solid edge in performance. I'm sorry, but 17 grains of bullet weightand 14 thousandths of an inch of diameterdo not make the Roberts a better deer cartridge, particularly when the .243 has 100 ft lbs more energy at 100 yards and 200+ more ft lbs at 200 yards, and that's with the +P loading in the .257. As I've said all along, the .257 is an excellent deer cartridge. But, it's notany better than the .243.
Its all good. Its just one of those internet paradox's, where everybody pretty much agrees, but since you can see smiles, or hear voice intonation, its oft misunderstood.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its all good. Its just one of those internet paradox's, where everybody pretty much agrees, but since you can see smiles, or hear voice intonation, its oft misunderstood.
Yeah, I understand... I was trying to limit my own opinions to factory ammo, and I think maybe you thought that I thought you were trying to put alimitation on my opinion, which wasn't the case. (I hope that made sense). It just seemed to me, as someone else said, that some of the guys were suggesting that the .257 was a "Hammer of Thor" deer rifle, whereas the .243 couldn't give a black eye to a gopher... I was trying to point out, since the original poster seemed not to be a handloader, that while the .257 is an outstanding 200 yard deer rifle, the .243 has a slight edge in performance. Maybe James B gets me a little riled up because of his fairly regular slurs against the .243...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent deer gun....have one and love it....killed my first elk with it also.!!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I understand... I was trying to limit my own opinions to factory ammo, and I think maybe you thought that I thought you were trying to put alimitation on my opinion, which wasn't the case. (I hope that made sense). It just seemed to me, as someone else said, that some of the guys were suggesting that the .257 was a "Hammer of Thor" deer rifle, whereas the .243 couldn't give a black eye to a gopher... I was trying to point out, since the original poster seemed not to be a handloader, that while the .257 is an outstanding 200 yard deer rifle, the .243 has a slight edge in performance. Maybe James B gets me a little riled up because of his fairly regular slurs against the .243...
I really don't think a .243 could give a gopher a black eye.... I think the bullet would probably go through his eye, and right out the back side of his head, taking most of his face with it....

When it comes to the Hammer of Thor...if you put a bullet from litterally ANYTHING into a deers brain or spine.... you'd have thought it was a hammer that hit him!