logo
 

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns

Guns Like firearms themselves, there"ôs a wide variety of opinions on what"ôs the best gun.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
Boone & Crockett
 
ipscshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 10,649
Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

That's why I asked about handloads. Using Winchester'sfactory ballistics, the 100 gr. .243 has a small but significant performance advantage overthe 117 gr. .257+P"on paper".
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location:
Posts: 920
Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

The 257 Roberts is a good little cartridge. My wife has been using a Win M70 Featherweight for 24 years and has had great success with it. Been using a 120 gr Sierra and R-22 for that long too but just this year found a load using a 100gr Nosler AB that shoots well out of her rifle.
__________________
Life is good, Give God the Glory....doubleA
doubleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 27,586
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
Nontypical Buck
 
SwampCollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Where the ducks don't come no more
Posts: 4,420
Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

Quote:
ORIGINAL: James B

Having used both the 257 Roberts and the 243 for deer, I would choose the Roberts in a heartbeat over the 243. Any advantage the 243 has is only on paper. I have not used any factory ammo in the Roberts but I load the 100 Grain X bullet to 3050 fps. I do use the +P WW brass. My wife does her deer hunting with the 250 Savage, another great deer round. My lower limit for deer is the 25 calibers.
I'm with you James. I like the .243 just fine (though I fancy the 6mm Rem more), but the advantages to having just a little bit larger bullet diameter and a heavier bullet with that .257 or the .250-3000 make it a little bit better choice in my opinion.

Its almost moot and I'm sure its probably been done, but has anyone heard of or had any experience necking the 308 case down to .257? With the .260 on the up end and the .243 on the low its really almost not needed, but I wonder what the performance would rival?
__________________
You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve. - Kid Rock
SwampCollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #15
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,167
Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

I think Winchester thought about making a 25-08, but they realized that we wouldn't have the fun we have discussing the .243 if they did...I find it hard to believe that one could tell the difference between a .257 bullet at 3,000 fps and a .243 bullet at 3,000 fps...I believe you will see more difference in the makeup or type bullet used than the small difference in diameter...

Remember, the .243 made the .257 Roberts and the 250-3000 Savage obsolete...


nchawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #16
Boone & Crockett
 
ipscshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 10,649
Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I'm with you James. I like the .243 just fine (though I fancy the 6mm Rem more), but the advantages to having just a little bit larger bullet diameter and a heavier bullet with that .257 or the .250-3000 make it a little bit better choice in my opinion.
Again, limiting my comments to factory loads, I'm not sure I see any advantage to using the "little bit larger bullet diameter and the heavier bullet" in the Roberts over the .243. Even with the 117 gr .257 +P load from Winchester, the 100 gr. .243 has more energy at 100 yards and beyond, and sighting both in at 200 yards, the .243 is flatter shooting by 12"over a400 yard trajectory. Do you really think deer are going to drop any better when they're hit less hard by a bullet that weighs only 17 gr. more and has a diameter that is only 14 thousands of aninch larger? If you assume that you need a minimum of 1000 ft lbs of energy for a clean deer kill, the 100 gr. .243 is a 325 yard deer rifle, and the 117 gr. .257+P is a 250 yard deer rifle. Again.... I'm not denigrating the Roberts at all, as I think it's a great deer rifle, particularly considering that most deer are shot at well under 200 yards, but, I really fail to see any advantage over the .243 unless you're a handloader.
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #17
Nontypical Buck
 
SwampCollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Where the ducks don't come no more
Posts: 4,420
Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I'm with you James. I like the .243 just fine (though I fancy the 6mm Rem more), but the advantages to having just a little bit larger bullet diameter and a heavier bullet with that .257 or the .250-3000 make it a little bit better choice in my opinion.
Again, limiting my comments to factory loads, I'm not sure I see any advantage to using the "little bit larger bullet diameter and the heavier bullet" in the Roberts over the .243. Even with the 117 gr .257 +P load from Winchester, the 100 gr. .243 has more energy at 100 yards and beyond, and sighting both in at 200 yards, the .243 is flatter shooting by 12"over a400 yard trajectory. Do you really think deer are going to drop any better when they're hit less hard by a bullet that weighs only 17 gr. more and has a diameter that is only 14 thousands of aninch larger? If you assume that you need a minimum of 1000 ft lbs of energy for a clean deer kill, the 100 gr. .243 is a 325 yard deer rifle, and the 117 gr. .257+P is a 250 yard deer rifle. Again.... I'm not denigrating the Roberts at all, as I think it's a great deer rifle, particularly considering that most deer are shot at well under 200 yards, but, I really fail to see any advantage over the .243 unless you're a handloader.
I wasn't limiting your comment to anything. I am a handloader as well. The onlyammo I shoot that is factory loaded is 30-30 Win, and thats only tofireform brass for my 30/30 A.I.

Don't take everything as an attack on your person, intelligence or abilities. I was just sharing my opinion, which happened to be the same as James'.

If you want to limit statements, then I'd have to say that your arguement on 400 yard trajectories is totally moot, because in my hunting scenarios, my longest shot is only about 175 yards. The humidity and mirage are so bad in the south that even if I had 400 open yards (and deer don't linger in the open very long), I couldn't hit them anyway.
__________________
You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve. - Kid Rock
SwampCollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #18
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,325
Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Quote:
ORIGINAL: James B

Having used both the 257 Roberts and the 243 for deer, I would choose the Roberts in a heartbeat over the 243. Any advantage the 243 has is only on paper. I have not used any factory ammo in the Roberts but I load the 100 Grain X bullet to 3050 fps. I do use the +P WW brass. My wife does her deer hunting with the 250 Savage, another great deer round. My lower limit for deer is the 25 calibers.
I'm with you James. I like the .243 just fine (though I fancy the 6mm Rem more), but the advantages to having just a little bit larger bullet diameter and a heavier bullet with that .257 or the .250-3000 make it a little bit better choice in my opinion.

Its almost moot and I'm sure its probably been done, but has anyone heard of or had any experience necking the 308 case down to .257? With the .260 on the up end and the .243 on the low its really almost not needed, but I wonder what the performance would rival?
As long as we're talking about some wildcats here, I'll throw out a couple other dandys ... 6.5 X 257 and/or the 6.5 X 57, both excellent deer takers, but really no better than the 7 X 57 or the 6.5 X 55.
8mm/06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #19
Boone & Crockett
 
James B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Wall SD USA & Jamestown ND
Posts: 11,474
Default RE: .257 Roberts for Deer

Just my Opinion, but I would rather work that hunt deer with a 243.
__________________
Freedom. Use it or loose it.
James B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #20
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 27,586
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.257 roberts gregrn43 Reloading 8 10-07-2008 04:24 AM
.257 Roberts bugsNbows Guns 4 01-11-2006 06:10 PM
.257 Roberts? bige1769 Reloading 2 12-30-2005 12:10 PM
25-06 or 257 Roberts? specialed43 Guns 38 05-10-2005 11:05 AM
.257 Roberts MarkinND Guns 8 12-31-2002 01:17 AM

 

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:23 AM.