Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recommended .300 Win Mag Ammo? >

Recommended .300 Win Mag Ammo?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recommended .300 Win Mag Ammo?

Old 06-30-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Recommended .300 Win Mag Ammo?

Actually, this is more of a question about ballistic coefficient of bullets.
How much does this really matter? And do manufacturers skew the numbers just to make a sale?

My gun seems to prefer 180 grain bullets, I don't roll my own, and am leaning towards the Winchester Premium Accubond or Silvertip. Mainly because they have excellent BC numbers.
I usually buy premium rounds for hunting andwill shoot them when sighting in.Iprefer thefeatures of rapid controlled expansion over penetration or muzzle velocity.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recommended .300 Win Mag Ammo?

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

And do manufacturers skew the numbers just to make a sale?
I heard that Hornady does that to promote their "Light Magnums", but that's not for real magnum cartridges.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ballistic coefficient matters a lot more at long range. It is what determines how fast the bullet sheds velocity,how far it is blown off course by wind. At normal hunting ranges,just use what your rifle prefers accuracy wize and performs best in terminal ballistics(kills quickest).
Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: younggun308

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

And do manufacturers skew the numbers just to make a sale?
I heard that Hornady does that to promote their "Light Magnums", but that's not for real magnum cartridges.

youngin, he asked about BC not velocity
Old 06-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Short answer: yes the manufacturers skew their numbers. Using different formulas for the BC calculation can do a lot to change their advertisements.

A truer BC is arrived at by shooting it at known distances and measuring speed and drop. Few manufactures use this method because it almost always results in lower BC numbers. A high BC is “really” only helpful on long range shots usually exceeding 300 yards. It is more important to find a round that is accurate in your rifle and use that. A high BC will not help you hit a long-range target if your riffle is not accurate with that round.

Find what round your rifle likes and then learn where it hits at different distances. You won’t be sorry.

mello
Old 06-30-2007, 12:19 PM

I guess I should have mentioned that I live in Wyoming and long range shots are a fact of life. Not something we seek, but something you practice, practice, practice. My antelope last year was ranged at 387 yards.

I'm wanting to try ammo that is redily available over the counter. Thought some of you guys had possitive or negative experience with one or more bullets/brands.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used both Winchester Premium Failsafe and Winchester Premium Accubond, 180 gr. .300 WM to bring down Elk quickly and effectively.
Last late season I dropped a large Cow Elk at 300 yards hitting and breaking her right front upper leg with Winchester Premium Accubond withthat one bullet also taking out both lungs. She labored to go no more than 30 yards before rowing over dead.
That tells me after passing through the heavy bone it had considerable ballistic force to turn the lungs into a consistency of strawberry jam. I'm planning to stick with the Accubonds for the forseeable future fo Elk.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If larger then deer stick Accubonds. Could also try winchetser new XP3 supposedly a step up from the accubond but has a bonded core/polmyer tip and high BC.

I reload but found Federal premium& Hornady ( regular ammo notmagnum or light mag stuff) more consistent then winchester ammo. You could try the Interbond by Hornady as well, similar to the Nosler Accubond loaded by both Federal and Winchester.I have used the nosler accubond personally to harvest deer to moose and it worked just fine.

If deer is your main concern the Ballistic Tip/SST/etc is just fine. Actually the nosler ballistic tip has been my deerbullet for years and never let me down on the range or in the field.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

It's been my experience over the years either Federal or Hornady ammunition in much better than Winchester or Remington for consistent results.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Spike

As mentioned earlier, try the different loads to see what is most accurate in your rifle. I shot nosler partitions for years, but could never get the bench accuracy that I wanted, even after trying many different powders and charges. I always blamed the gun (never the shooter ) until I tried the Barnes triple shock, and immediatley was putting 3 shots on top of a 1" circle at 100yd.

I also prefer somthing with faster expansion, and am going to try the accubond this summer...