Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 500 S&W Rifle ballistics??? >

500 S&W Rifle ballistics???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

500 S&W Rifle ballistics???

Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default 500 S&W Rifle ballistics???

Does anybody have any or know where I can get some ballistics numbers for the 500 S&W coming out of a 20" or 22" rifle barrel?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:09 PM

Default RE: 500 S&W Rifle ballistics???

The 500 S&W is a handgun round, so finding rifle ballistics will be damn near impossible. Even trying to "massage" specs for comparable rifle rounds is tough. You got a lot of lead and not much powder, maybe just modify the handgun ballistics. Velocities, trajectories, and energy, etc. are probably lower specs with the 20" barrel than the 10"handgun. Would be interesting to see.

I bet you're looking at the T/C Encore in 500S&W, huh? Maybe their support could help.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I bet you're looking at the T/C Encore in 500S&W, huh? Maybe their support could help.
Great guess!

I looked at their web site and they do not take email (at least I couldn't find a place to email them) It looks like call or regular mail only.
I figured it'd be tough to find ballistics.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not inquire with the ammo manufacturers. they'd have better info than the firearm maker would.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:36 PM

I checked Federal, Winchester, and Remington, all show the handgun ballistics.

I just gotta ask . . . Why the 500 in a rifle?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

Why the 500 in a rifle?
Great question!

Here in Indiana we've been a shotgun/muzzleloader state forever. Just this year they've changed our deer hunting legal equipment laws to include rifles that shoot hand gun cartridges that are under 1.625" in case length. Sincethe 500 S&W is the biggest one on there I'm interested in it!
BUT....
I want to think about it ballistically before I drop $300 ona barrel and possibly a scope. I keep asking myself what a 500 S&W will do that my Encore 209X50 or my fully rifled 12 Guage with 3" Partition Gold sabots won't do? SO far I haven't answered that question well enough to rush out and buy a barrel!

SO I was hoping that some of y'all could convince me why I couldn't live without buying this barrel!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have the ballistics. Your 209 X 50 would probably do just as good ajobas the 500 S&W. But you have to admit that the 500 in a carbine barrel would be one heck of a deer/black bear slayer probably out to 150 yds or so. And would be quicker to reload if needed. Besides, why does anyone need an excuse to buy another gun. I myself don't really need a new Taurus PT1911, but there's one at the gun shop that keeps begging for me to take it home.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Besides, why does anyone need an excuse to buy another gun.
You're absolutely right! It doesn't take a whole lot in my mind to justify buying something like that! I agree that my 209X50 is probably a little better, but man you're right, that would be an awsome rifle for just about anything you wanted to shoot at!

I spoke with someone at T/C's custom shop to see if they had any ballistic info on their 20" Katahdin Pro Hunter 500 S&W barrels, which is what I'm looking at buying, and he said if I find hand gun ballistics I should be able to add approx. 50 fps per inch of additional barrel length. SO...According to Hornady's new web sight their new 300 grain Evolution out of a 10" barrel is flying out of the muzzle at 2075 fps, so if that guy's right, my Encore will send that monster bullet at an amazing 2575 fps!!!That's frickin awesome!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might also want to check out the 460 smith, might be able to get a lil more range out of that gun an make it a good 200+ yard gun. Not sure on TC chamberings but I'm sure they have something along those lines or Eabco has something.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Rammer, I did check into that and they do offer it in the same configuration. Unfortunately, the new Indiana law prohibits that cartridge due its length.

Quick Reply: 500 S&W Rifle ballistics???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.