HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Indiana Deer Rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/193109-indiana-deer-rifle.html)

younggun308 06-03-2007 09:14 AM

RE: Indiana Deer Rifle

I wouldn't think that a .44 Magnum would have bad kick in a rifle, since Henry rifles are kinda' heavy for their size, it should absorb the recoil pretty well, I think a .44 Magnum would be better for deer, more power, and more range, and, yes, when aimed well, I think the deer would notice a difference, at 100 yards, the 44 has substantially more power than a 357.

It's like saying will a deer notice the difference between getting hit by a 25-06 in comparison to a 30-06.

whitetaildreamer 06-03-2007 09:59 AM

They don't notice. A well placed shot is far more important than any cal. and as for getting close or for having that excellent oppertunity for that perfect shot comes down to the skill as a hunter. As my grandfather used to say, "It's not the gun, it's the gunner." And that from a farmer that lived during the depression that hunted so his family would be able to eat (cattle were money not for food).I remember as a kid on the farm (long time ago when there was little to no regulations) being given a couple of .22 rounds and a oldsingle shot rifle and being expected to harvest an animal. Times were tough and I know that times have changedbut skill as a hunter determines the hunter that fills the freezer consistantly, unless of course you are paying the big bucks for a guide and a game farm, which is just fine if you have the bucks and that type of hunting is your cup of tea. Sorry if this postcomes across astoo strong but I see far too many hunters out there that their expectations mirror what they see on TV or on hunting videos. Just an opinion from a guy whose family still hunts as a lifestyle and not a sport.

younggun308 06-03-2007 12:47 PM

It all depends on what kind of shot you get on a deer, if you're hunting deer with a 22 LR, then you would have to go for an upper neck shot, thus severing the spinal chord, resulting in a quick kill.

However, if you do as most hunter's shoot, a vitals shot, most of the time, not always, but most of the time, after a vitals shot, the deer will run, and you will have to track it.
While the deer is running away, I bet you he would feel a difference, a deer hit with a different bullet will bleed differently, the expansion of the bullet will vary from bullet to bullet, that's inevitable, so, yes, a deer, would feel a difference between different bullets.

Of course, in real life, you would be right, a deer wouldn't feel the difference, simply because, it wouldn't survive to feel one and then compare it to another, most deer never live long enough to be shot on two seperate occasions, as most wounded deer die at least a week or two later from infection.
There are exceptions, though, but this is more often an occurence with bowhunted deer.

A bigger, more powerful bullet, if shot at a deer, from the same distance, same spot, etc., would prove to be more effective than the smaller bullet.

Let's just use the example of the 30-06 and the .270, both have the same powder capacity, but the bullet size is different.

Of course, in the field, it's all about the shooter's ability to shoot well under thepressure of buck fever.
I'm just talking as if it's a lab test, but the broad debate that was raised, was whether or not a bigger bullet would have better performance on a deer, versus a smaller bullet. I say yes, and no offense, but the fact that your grandad could kill deer with a 22 has nothing to do with whether or not bigger bullets can be more effective or not,what you were saying about killing deer with a 22 is another debate entirely.

lovethebigguns 06-04-2007 10:44 AM

I have researched this topic for quite some time, well as soon as I heard that they might pass it. I'm a huge Winchester Model 94 fan and I havea model 94 chambered in 44 magnum that I'll carry this year. If Winchester would've made a model 94 454 Casull I would probably spend my wad trying to buy one of those! Winchester did make a Model 94 in the 480 Ruger for a very short period of time but I'll be damned if I can find one of them anywhere, at any price! I have played around with the Legacy Puma Model 92 in the 454, it's a nice gun but I'd have to shoot one before I'd buy it. NEF does sell their Handi Rifle chambered in the 500 S&W with fiber optic sights for around $275-$300 which would be an awesome deer set up. I've also considered buying a Katahdin 500 S&W barrel for my Encore as well, I can get one of those for about the same price as the NEF rifle.

I think the NEF 500 S&W rifle and the lever action 454's are going to be pretty popular, but I think you'll see the 44 mag carried most often. A lot of us care about the cost of ammo and some people won't care for the recoil that the 500 brings.

Hope this helps!
Happy hunting,