Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cammo Stocks? >

Cammo Stocks?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cammo Stocks?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cammo Stocks?

I noticed Hogue now offers cammo on their Over Molded stocks and it got me thinking....

Does Camoflauge<sp?> on a rifle really help out compared to a black composite stock?

My primary hunting position is either in a fairly high stand or sitting on the ground in the middle of some bushes. The two deer I have taken in the past two years were both between 75 and 100 yards so it wasnt like they were up close and personal.Thedeer I took this past year was anything but challenging..... I was sitting behind a bunch of timber with the windin my favor and he walked out about 75 yardsupwind from me. He looked in my direction with nothing between us at all (I was covered incammo that matched wonderfully with the downed timber), he then glanced the other way, stepped out, and that was the end of him.

I dont think he recognized my shape due to the cammo and the surroundings, but my rifle on the other hand should have stood out I would think. I was using a 30-30 lever action with a lighter colored, kinda brightwood, high gloss scope (unfortunately), gold trigger, etc. Now, he may not have seen me, but odds are I would have thought he would have seen the rifle, but he obviously didnt.

So is this camoflauged stock and barrel craze a little bit ridiculous, or was it just dumb luck that he didnt see my rifle as I was aiming at him? Was it because I was atleast 75 yards away?

If anybody has actually noticed a difference in concealability while using a gun that had a camo pattern applied,was it a noticeable difference? If it is, I wouldn't hesitate to do it, but I have been successful the past two years without itand Im curious if the camo pattern will help out considerably more.

Im just curious if its worth it to pay the extra bit of moolah to get a camo covered stock as opposed to a low gloss black polymer stock.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cammo Stocks?

I'm 51 and have hunted since I was 7-8...I have never owned a camo stock, not even my turkey gun is camo...I have killed at least 250 deer with a gun and have never had a deer spook due to my stock....Heck, when I was a kid (14-17) I used to shoot deer in the summer with nothing more than blue jeans and a tee shirt on and then I was sitting on the ground...Just try to sit in the shade and move slowly.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt it makes much difference, especially as long as you sit still and don't move the gun around more than necessary. I've used camo and wooden stocks and the deer couldn't tell them apart.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I figured as much. Im under the impression that using common sense when hunting (being quite, still, and downwind) is the most productive way for harvesting white tails. Thank you for your quick reponses.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 PM

I don'town a camo gun and don't plan to.

People have been harvesting them for about all eternity without a camo stock, why would it matter now? I'm sure the natives wren't throwing synthetic camo rocks and they survived.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is important for Turkey hunting but other than that useless.

Tom
Old 05-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that the profile the deer get to see of the gun are 2 round holes pretty much in line with your face.

Unless you hold it sideways to impress the deer with what type of gun you have I don't think it would make a hill of beans difference
Old 05-23-2007, 03:39 PM

they are pretty to look at[8D] and hell if you set it down and walk off you may not be able to find the darn thing [&:]
Old 05-23-2007, 04:16 PM

A camo stock wont make a difference but a high gloss gun can make a major difference. One of the guys we hunt with got a new gun that had a lamanite stock and a real nice high gloss blue to it. We could see that glare from it on the next mountain over (Approx. 500 to 600 yards).
Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Spike

Yah, but that mutha sho looks bad as heck in the gun cabinet.The crooks can spot it from the road!.....I took my rem express and sprayed it w/$1.99 flat black from the dollar general. Works great!! [the ol tom couldn't tell if it was a face load of # 4 or #6 that took him out.]