Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Handgun Shooting >

Handgun Shooting

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun Shooting

Old 05-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Handgun Shooting

I have started shooting a handgun and was wondering what kind of accuracy some of you get using open sights. At 25 yds. I can 9-10 ring all day. At 50 yds. I really open up to 7-8 ring range. This is setting and shooting with the old elbow inside the knees rest.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Handgun Shooting

you can't complain about that kinda shootin anyday! Sometimes I can shoot sometimes I can't. Depends on my eyes that day. Hopefully I can smooth it out with new contacts. But keep it up !!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Sounds like you're in fantastic shape there man.

Standing with the 2 hand grip I can dang near stack holes on each other with my Buckmark .22 at 20 yards but at that distance with my 9mm I'm happy to get in the inner rings much less a bulls eye.

I think I'm still flinching though...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I could shoot my 9mm or my 38 that good I'd be really happy. I need to try and take my handguns out more often.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Yea, thats real good shootin'

Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. Now you all got me big headed so I won't be able to hit anything. I never really knew what could be expected and I hear about guys shooting handguns at 100 yds. I would dearly love to kill a deer with mine but it looks like it will need to be close and that's OK since I'm mainly a bowhunter anyway.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: longbowman2

Thanks for the replies. Now you all got me big headed so I won't be able to hit anything. I never really knew what could be expected and I hear about guys shooting handguns at 100 yds. I would dearly love to kill a deer with mine but it looks like it will need to be close and that's OK since I'm mainly a bowhunter anyway.
Shooting and hitting are totally different hehe. I watched a guy go through I think three full magazines in a Kimber 1911 trying to hit a clay pigeon at 100 yards. Now I'm actually not positive he ever really hit it...
Old 05-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: longbowman2

think of it as a 50yd bow shot. I don't bow hunt but I hunt small game with my handguns all the time. every now and then I'll get lucky and pull off a 75-100yd shot with a 22 but it's rare. realisticly it's between 25-50yds.

try to practice shooting in the positions that you hunt in if you can. if your shooting from a treestand, practice from a tree stand. Even if it's with a 22 or a pellet pistol. just like practicing with a bow.

and if your worried about hunting deer to begin with, Get a 22 and try squirrels. if you can hit a squirrel @ 50yds with a nice clean shot you can hit a deer @ 75yds.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

BTW what kinda handgun you shooting?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

A Taurus .44 Mag. & a Uberti 1873 .45 Colt. I shoot them both about the same.

Quick Reply: Handgun Shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.