Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gunsmiths: varmit barrel stock-standard barrel? >

Gunsmiths: varmit barrel stock-standard barrel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gunsmiths: varmit barrel stock-standard barrel?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Spike

Default Gunsmiths: varmit barrel stock-standard barrel?

Ok, I have a Rem 700 in 243 with the standard barrel that I'd like to re-stock. I found a short action thumbhole stock I like, but it has the varmit barrel contour (223 WSM I think) - will this work for me? I've been told by the seller if I piller bed or glass bed it, it will work. I've also been told a while back on a different stock that the gap would be too big & look like crap.

So which is it? Also, is a piller bed or glass bed something a novice can SUCCESSFULLY do? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gunsmiths: varmit barrel stock-standard barrel?

I don’t think you can have to big of a gap, but it might not be pleasing to the eye. If you can take your action and put it in the mentioned stock you’ll see the gap. Then you decide if it looks ok for you. If it seems ok to you, then go for it. It will also be ready for a larger premium barrel later if you decide to upgrade and you’ll have a thumb hole stock in the mean time.

mello
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would reccomend that you get the stock that fits your barreled action.
That way,it'll be drop in fit. As to glass vs pillar bedding,anout 1/2 of your decision will be determined of your intended use of rifle. The main thing if you attempt this yourself,is your skill/knowledge level. My first reaction is you should have local gunsmith do this because he will do a perfect job.
There are basically 3 different levels of bedding.#1 is glass bedding,#2 is pillar bedding,#3 is full length aluminum bedding block. The 1st 2 types can be done to any stock,while the 3rd has to be ordered thay.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass on the stock.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster61081

I've been told by the seller if I piller bed or glass bed it, it will work. I've also been told a while back on a different stock that the gap would be too big & look like crap.
Both are correct. Yes, it will work for your rifle, Yes, it will have a large reveal between the stock and barrel.

Also, is a piller bed or glass bed something a novice can SUCCESSFULLY do? Thanks for your help.
Yep, a novice can do bedding jobs successfully. You will need some directions and follow themtothe letter, but you can do it. Also you can bed the barrel channel to fill in the gap that will be too big.

Now, ask me if I think its worth it! I would say no. go to Boyd'sgunstock and buy a thumbhole stockfrom their bargain bin and startwith that. Buy a drop in stock and you could be done or bed it if you care too ( I highly recommend bedding and free floating). Or if you feel adventurous you couldpurchase a VIP (virtual inlet piece) and do the wood working as well. You know finish inletting the wood, channel the barrel, finish the wood etc. It is very rewarding. PM if you would like help with your project.