Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .45 ACP / .45 GAP - Semi-autos >

.45 ACP / .45 GAP - Semi-autos

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.45 ACP / .45 GAP - Semi-autos

Old 04-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .45 ACP / .45 GAP - Semi-autos

What experience do any of you have with .45 ACP and .45 GAP semi-auto handguns (e.g. features, reliability, accuracy, design, etc.) different manufacturers / models?

I think features I'm most looking for are very good accuracy, very good design/quality, durability, double-action, decocking/firing pin blocker (safety features)and good fitting/balance.
I've got a lot of research to do before deciding on anything. Thanks

Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 PM

Default RE: .45 ACP / .45 GAP - Semi-autos

Glocks are available in both calibers. I didn't notice much difference in the .45 GAP when it came out as opposed to the ACP round. About the same feel and recoil. I wound up sticking with the .40, mainly because it is what I am used to. For the smaller Glock, I went with the 26 in 9mm. I have big hands and holding on to that little handle was easier to manage in 9mm and it gives me better control in rapid fire. Also, my wife sometimes carries it and she doesn't like the .40. I'm a big fan of Glock, so I don't know much about other makes. The only other autos I have shot were the 1911 and the M9. If you are looking at larger calibers, I can reccommend you stay away from the 10mm. I have heard some complain about the angle of the grip on the Glock, saying it didn't feel natural. Find a shop with a range and try some on for size, the one you feel comfortable and confident with will probably be your best bet. My favorite feature of the Glock is the trigger reset, which allows you to hold the trigger down after the shot, then slightly let off until you feel a small click. The trigger can then be squeezed again to cycle another round. Once your finger learns where the reset point is, you can crank up your rate of fire as fast as you are willing to train it to be. Back when I practiced a lot, I could draw from a level 2 safariland holster and fire 15 rounds into a target at 7 yards, and reload in 3 seconds. Never could get fast enough on the reload to fire a round out of the second mag before the target refaced. I don't know if other makes have this feature now, but it would be one of the first questions I asked. Good luck and let us know what you picked!
Old 04-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have extensive experience with .45acp and a bit with .45gap and see no reason to switch from .45acp.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

About identical in performance. To me it would come down to which gun you choose. If I were going with the Glock, I would pick the 45 GAP because of its size. In another make where frame size is the same, I would stick with the ACP just because of the availability of ammo and loading components.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

They go over this on the glock forum over & over. I am partial to all 45's... 455 Webley, 45 Colt,45ACP, so naturally the 45 GAP caught my interest. I don't own one yet. The GAP is indeed a smaller piece, the size of their 9mm, and I am quite confident that it would serve well. A few states have adopted it as the police round. The old 1911 is a very well designed and reliable piece for antipersonnel work. Never heard anyone say that it took them too long to get it cocked (it is not double action) or that it was a lame pistol. As far as that goes, I never heard an Old Timer single action shooter complain that it took too long to cock their 45 Colt. But I have heard from some when they just had too many bad guys on the wire that they appreciated quick reloads! I say you are comparing good & good.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot both in the glock. I would only go with the gap in a compact not a full size. I like the ability to shoot +p ammo, especially in a larger pistol. All of the magazines that I have read only did a comparison between the ACP and the GAP, no mention of the ACP +P. I wonder why?

mello
Old 04-22-2007, 02:20 AM

The 45 GAP seems like a solution to a problem I don't have (I love the 45 ACP), but to each their own.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the good input. I think as BigTinysuggested go down to a local firearms shop that has an indoor range and try out a couple different makes/models to see what seems to work best for me. I know a lot is just preference of different features between a number of very well designed / made handguns. Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 AM

i have both no diffrence really i use my acp more
Old 12-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Spike

I own many 1911 type pistols and a couple of SIG P220, but for a lighter concealed carry pistol, I have a G38 in 45 GAP. I have the Kimber Ultra CDP II for a concealed carry pistol, but it feels heavy compared to the Glock.

4 or 5 state police departments have adopted the G37 in 45 GAP as their service pistol. I have no problem finding the ammo. I think the GAP is close to the 45 ACP +P in performance, for me it performs very well.

If your going to buy a 1911 type pistol, get a Kimber or a Wilson. Currently no one that I can find still has a production 45 GAP pistol except Glock.

Jerry

Quick Reply: .45 ACP / .45 GAP - Semi-autos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.