Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 winchester model 50 shotgun >

winchester model 50 shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

winchester model 50 shotgun

Old 04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default winchester model 50 shotgun

hey guys, just wondering who is familiar with this firearm. my dad has had one since way back, and i justpicked another one up the other day.

i love these guns! super light recoil, handles like a dream. i shot trap with his about 20 years ago when i was in the junior league at my club. couldnt miss with this gun. Shot my new (to me) one the other day and got a 23 out of 25, and thats after not shooting trap for a decade! they just seem to fit me well.

anyway, if anyone has one they'd like to part with , or would like to discuss this model, chime in!
lemme know if theres any model 50 owners out there!

later

moose

found the shell catcher from ramsey Outdoors last nite
Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: winchester model 50 shotgun

anyone?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not familiar with the Model 50 at all. Used to own a Model 59.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

i think i have one

those 2 limits of grouse were taken 2seperate years...same area...same camp...same pics. also rolled bunnies, other pheasants, more squirrels..a ton of doves, wood cock and even a fall turkey with it.

it was my moms fathers. i never got to meet him. he passed away when she was young. i been cleaning and taking care of the guns left behind since i was young..8 or 10(no joke i been cleaning guns that long) im now 20. been using the model 50 for a while now...i absolutely LOVE it. pull it up and pull the trigger and watch the game fold. AWESOME gun...i dont know what it is about it.

ive yet to see anyone else kill a grouse at that camp. every time i hunt and we get into them i limit out early in the game with my mod 50...they hate me!

that hen pheasant i folded at an unbelievable range. i was shocked when i seen it fold. as well as the fall turkey i killed this year. i didnt think it was HALF as far as it was...but man that thing was out there...

what barrels do you have??? mine is a modified..id like to see what the specs were...that thing sure is thin at the muzzle. before i started using it dad used it and killed a couple spring birds..and grandpa must have shot the heck out of it. the bluing is gone on the bottom of the reciever from loading it...

great shootin gun. i cant say ive ever seen another. would you mind telling me what you paid for the new one you just got?? id really like another one...i think the stock is in bad shape...its loose and i cant figure out a way to tighten it. dad told me he had to use it in self defense with a gobbler once and im sure thats why[:@]
Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own a 59, which is the Alloy reciever/fiberglass barrel version of the all steel Model 50... They work on the same " floating chamber short recoil" action... A friend of mine ( now dead) used to have a 50... Good old shotguns...
Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pygmy.....You just answered my question.... I couldn't remember if it was the 50 or 59 that had the 'glass barrel. I think it was called "Winlite" if I remember correctly.......
Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wildman...You got it right..."Winlite" it was....

The 59 also offered the first screw in choke tubes on the market " Winchokes" ...A few years ahead of thier time... I have the IC, MOD and FULL tubes for my 59...

BTW...I bought it from a local gun shop owner in 1965...he had repossesed it from a guy who had started to pay for it but could not pay it off... I bought it for what the original buyer still owed on it...$105 of the original retail price of $160.. I took the gun home, used it, and payed it off for $5 a week... Those were the days...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: mauser06

"what barrels do you have???"

I've got modified, love to find a full, did they make 3 inch mag versions?

"great shootin gun. "

you're not kiddin!

" would you mind telling me what you paid for the new one you just got??"

i paid 300 bucks for it. its got a super low serial # and is CLEAN.

I was at gander mountain yesterday and they had 3 of them .. 2 were twins, 12 gauge modifieds, and one was a 20 gauge (which i'd never seen ) full choke. All 3 were clean, but they wanted $460 for the 12's and $860 for the 20!!

i would like to know if they made a 12 gauge 3inch mag... anyone know?

Old 04-18-2007, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard of a 3 inch M 50 and I'm about 99 44/100% sure they never marketed one...

Back in those days the 3 inch mag was considered a specialty waterfowl gun and they didn't feel the need to offer every model in a 3 inch version... Lead shot was legal and with lead loads, 2 3/4" guns were perfectly capable of killing ducks and geese as far as any sane hunter wanted to shoot them.. Turkeys were not even an issue, because huntable populations of turkeys did not even EXIST in most states in the 50s...

It was the mandatory steel shot regs that came along in the 60s and 70s that changed all that, along with the successful re-introduction of the wild turkey..

Old 04-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser 06...Many older guns have thin barrel walls...That is one reason why you should not shoot steel shot in it...The steel might deform the barrel and create a bulge in the region of the choke...

As for the loose buttstock, remove the buttplate... There MAY be a screw slot there that you can tighten with a large screwdriver and fix your problem...If not, take it to a gunsmith and have him figure out how to tighten it before you shoot it much more...Shooting it as is might damage it or possibly even crack the stock...

Quick Reply: winchester model 50 shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.