Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 winchester model 50 shotgun >

winchester model 50 shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

winchester model 50 shotgun

Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: winchester model 50 shotgun

thanx moose. that aint a bad price for one...! i watch them in the books and such when i get a chance and i know they used to be worth 350ish i think. im sure that gone up since winchester went down...

pygmy..there is no screws under the butt plate. there is something important there. not sure what it is...i dont think its a buffer(that would seem too high tec for the time..) id say it has to do with the action...im not wholey sure on what it is...thats really the only semi auto shotgun ive actually cleaner or played with. shot a bunch of others..but werent mine so i didnt take them apart

i dont plan to shoot it anymore till i get it fixed or it will be retired...hate to retire such a great gun. the stock was also clearly refinished. theres a run in the clear coat...looks like grandpa may have done it..the wood just seems bad. i noticed the holes for the buttplate are in bad shape...some days the stock is really loose...others it seems tight. but if you grab it like your going to shoot it, you can sometimes move the stock slightly like a clock almost..like rotate it almost...

i never knew that about the thin barrels...makes sense though..sure cuts down on weight. i couldnt believe how thin that barrel was though...its really about paper thin at the muzzle end..

maybe ill try to hunt me a new one down this summer. the way things are going in the family all those guns i took care of all my life and shoot occassionally are just "borrowed" funny thing is noone else on that side of the family hunts or shoots! all i would really like to have would be the 50, the winchester 88 and maybe the old marlin 30-30 lever gun.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: winchester model 50 shotgun

Yeah...The spring that absorbs the recoil of the shell and then returns the action to battery is in there...I thought there might also be a provision for tightening the buttstock, as there is in many pump guns...In any case, I expect that a gunsmith could remedy your problem without costing you a bunch of $$$.. It is a shame to retire a fine old shotgun if you enjoy using it...