Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Charter Arms >

Charter Arms

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Charter Arms

Old 04-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Charter Arms

Anybody have any experience(good, bad, or ugly) with the Charter line of revolvers? I'm looking to add a simplistic, functional, economical revovler to my collection and these seem to fit the bill. My idea for this purchase is not to stop charging grizzlies at 200 yards(thanks anyway) but to have a reliable .357/38 that goes BANG on command. Any and all comments welcome, thanks.

I read an article a few months back in a firearm mag.(forget the name) and they've been interesting to me ever since.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Charter Arms

My experience has been good with Charter Arms revolvers, but they are definitely not Smith and Wessons. For what you are wanting, a Charter Arms should be just fine.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Yeah, this thing would in all likelyhood just follow me aroundwhile coyote hunting,farm ponds, trotlines or any other time I might be wandering around outdoors and poking my head in coyote/furbearer bedrooms.So really, a Performence Center 460 might be a little much.

Might there be any other 'sleeper' manufacturers out there? I'm looking to stay with a DA compact revolver, and am familiar with the big names.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Taurus would be my choice in the lower cost revolvers. Ruger if you want a real gun.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM

Rossi makes a good low-cost revolver. I think most of them if not all are made by Taurus.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 PM

I have a Rossi .44spl and its a great little gun, pretty accurate, very comfortable grips, etc. I'd recommend them for a good look.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Charter Arms Off Duty. I thought it was a great little gun. I really like the way it shoots and the way it feels when I'm carrying concealed. But the other day I could not open it to take the shells out. I took it to Bass Pro and they said they were going to send it back to Charter Arms under the warranty. It was something to do with a screw on the release. I hope I don't have any more problems with it because I really like the gun, but if I have another problem, its history.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:33 AM

Ruger if you want a real gun.
Ha! I KNEW somebodyhad to sayit...

I may end up going the Taurus route, I have one from a local shop and they seem to like carrying them, good shops can be hard to come by in a non CCW state like this, and handgun hunting is not very popular yet.Most in-stock models I see are large frame big bores for whitetail, and that's not what I'm looking for.You really don't see alot of buying/selling/trading in shops around here, there's just little market for high end compact handguns.It would be nice to havemultipleplaces to browse multiple weapons within my criteria, but that's just not the case.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never shot a Charter, but Ithink highlythe Taurus 85 for the money.
Shoots good in DA self defense mode, and plenty accurate in SA.

the other day I could not open it to take the shells out.
My Dad's 38 S&W had that happen after years of sitting in the safe.
It turned out to be a broken cylinder latch pin spring. Cheap fix.
Good luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have had several Charter Arms handguns and they have all been good. One in particular I really regret selling...It was a Bull Dog Pug. Accurate as any other snubby I have ever owned and a great carry gun. Traded it for a .45acp Colt Officers Model. Wish I would have kept it.
One more thing...They are american made...if it maters at all to you!

Quick Reply: Charter Arms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.