Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
mossberg 835 ulti-mag good for turkey?? >

mossberg 835 ulti-mag good for turkey??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mossberg 835 ulti-mag good for turkey??

Old 12-11-2002, 10:34 PM

Default mossberg 835 ulti-mag good for turkey??

i was just woundering what you all think of this gun.im going to be useing it for turkey this season with 3.5" 2 1/4oz #5 shot [winchester super-x]
Old 12-12-2002, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mossberg 835 ulti-mag good for turkey??

Mine works great, with the extra full turkey choke it will really reach out and touch them. I usually use 3 inch 5 shot federals though. I love my mossberg 835 wouldnt trade it for any other turkey gun. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:48 AM

I have used one for the past 3 seasons. I think it is a great gun for the money. I think the pump action is a little finicky with the
3 1/2" loads I use. You have to really give it a good pull on the action and it you don't, the shells tend to get hung up in the chamber during the ejection process. Having said that, I stll will continue to use it as it is a great "bang for the buck".

Old 12-12-2002, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I AGREE WITH YOU ALL GREAT GUN FOR THE MONEY. I USE IT FOR DEER HUNTING ALSO AS I HAVE THE RIFLED/CANTILEVER BARREL ALSO.

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE THE RIFLED BARREL, DON'T USE 2.75" OR 3" SLUGS IN IT, USE ONLY 3.5" SLUGS. I REASON IS THAT THE CHAMBER IS 3.5" LONG, IF YOU USE A SHELL SHORTER THEN THAT, THE ROUND CAN GET CAUGHT UP.

HOW I FOUND THIS OUT, WAS AFTER SIGHTING THE GUN IN A FEW YEARS AGO WITH LIGHTFEILD 2.75" SLUGS, I READ THE BACK OF THE BOX, AND IT SAID "NOT RECOMMEDED IN 3.5" RECIVERS". I CALLED LIGHTFEILD, THEY TOLD ME WHY, AND SAID 9 OUT 10 TIMES NOTHIN WILL HAPPEN, BUT IT WILL SOMETIME. WELL I DONT NEED A GUN TO BLOW BACK IN MY FACE. LIGHTFEILDS 3.5" SLUGS ARE EQUAL TO THERE 3" SLUGS AS FAR AS SLUG WEIGHT, POWERDER CHARGE, AND THEY FLIGHT GREAT!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 06:35 AM

I have mine set up with a Hastings .685 choke and a Simmons 2X Pro Diamond scope. I use Winchester High Velocity Turkey Loads. 3.5" 2oz #4's. A real turkey (and shoulder) thumper at max range. I love it!! I agree with Predator1 about ejecting 3.5" shells---only complaint.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:51 PM

The 835 is from the ground up a turkey shotgun. You can't go wrong and it is a killer.

Since this is a 3.5" chamber, you have lots of flexibilty in rounds. You'll find that Remington's 3" Hevi-Shot is one of the best loads no matter the chamber length. 3.5"s for the most part will only abuse the user more and the net gain with Hevi-Shot is minimal.

As for having rounds shorter than 3.5" "jam" in the chamber, never seen it happen. My shop sells a few shotguns a year, to date we're at 500, that's Benelli, Beretta, Mossberg, Remington and a few Brownings tossed in. Most of our customers run 3's except for the young and full of piss and vinager. THere have been no reports of 2.75" jamming in 3.5" chambers.

If you decide to go with slugs---get a cantilever barrel--and DON"T run them in the barrel with the 835. The back/overboring will cause bad things to happen. Get a Hastings or a Mossberg barrel; be advised the barrel will set you back 250 minimum.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine has a Hastings extended choke tube, and shoots 3.5 inch, #4 Winchester shells. It will shoot a looooooooong distance.

Old 12-15-2002, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ANYTHING SMALLER THEN 3.5" WON'T GET JAMMED, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IS THE ROUND CAN GET CAUGHT UP. LIGHTFEILD SLUG PEOPLE CAN EXPLAIN IT BETTER THEN ME. WHAT HE SAID WAS, 9 OUT OF 10 TIMES NOTHIN WILL HAPPEN, BUT THAT 1 TIME IT CAN, WHO NEEDS THAT.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:02 PM

I own a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag 12 guage, 28 inch barrel, all camo gun, and use it for everything I hunt, including turkeys. I have never had any problems with this gun like some of you all are saying. It is an outstanding performing gun, and stands up to some very rugged use. I hunt a lot in the swamps of Louisiana, and it handles everything I can give it and in return, I take very good care of it.
I have four different chokes for this gun, and my turkey choke is a comp n choke tube, and it gets out there and reaches. When shooting the 3.5 inch magnum shells, ducks, geese, hogs and turkeys just dont have a chance at far ranges cause it gets out there and smokes them. For smaller game I change my choke to mod, or regular full and shoot either the 2 3/4 inch or the 3 inch. I even have a rare IC choke tube which I never used yet but I guess one day I will hunt something to use it with.
For me it is the best performing gun I would ever want, and trust me I have used a lot of guns. It never fails no matter what shells I use, or how fast I pump it, so I just had to give you all my opinion.
Swampchopper
Old 12-17-2002, 02:46 PM

I am looking at either moss 835 ulti-mag or remington 870 super mag. Prices here are within $20.00 any opinion as which is best. wanting to use for turkey and duck. Is the stock modified choke ok or do I need a aftermarket for better patterns. Trying to decide before this weekend.

Quick Reply: mossberg 835 ulti-mag good for turkey??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.