Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester Model '95 carbine >

Winchester Model '95 carbine

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Model '95 carbine

Old 02-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winchester Model '95 carbine

Anyone have one of these?

I think it was a lever-action, and it had afixed boxmagazine, fired the 30-40 Krag cartridge, and was used extensively during
the Spanish-American War.

I saw on the Winchester website awhile ago that they offered it as a non-catalog item, and it was a take-down model. When I sawthat, I thought it looked awesome!

If anyone has one, how is it? How does it shoot?

If you don't have one, wht do you know about it?

I guess you could say that this rifle is one of those "Dream Guns" that I'll never get.(Heck , at least I have better dreames than my dad, whose dream gun was a mini-14!)
Old 02-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Winchester Model '95 carbine

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Anyone have one of these?

I think it was a lever-action, and it had a detachable magazine, fired the .405 Win. cartridge, and was used extensively during
the Spanish-American War.

I saw on the Winchester website awhile ago that they offered it as a non-catalog item, and it was a take-down model. When I sawthat, I thought it looked awesome!

If anyone has one, how is it? How does it shoot?

If you don't have one, wht do you know about it?

I guess you could say that this rifle is one of those "Dream Guns" that I'll never get.(Heck , at least I have better dreames than my dad, whose dream gun was a mini-14!)
Did have - mine was a .30/40 Krag. It is NOT one of more pleasing Browning designs, but has the ability to use pointed bullets. It has a box magazine, but it is NOT detachable-it is a fixed box. I recommend you dream about the Model 1886 or Model 71 Winchesters. They are much nicer, IMO!

The .405 Winchester was NOT usedat all in the Spanish-American War. It was not even INTRODUCED until 1904!! Six years AFTER the war. The two small-arms rounds we used in that war were the .45/70 and the .30/40 Krag (in the 1892 Krag-Springfield rifle). The Spanish had the 7mm Mauser!

T.R. used the .405 in Africa in 1909, and liked it. But, I consider it as having a too-light-for-diameter (300-grain, low sectional density) bullet. I would want at least 400 grain bullets for any heavy game if I were limited to the 405 Winchester! Actually, for dangerous game, a .45/70 Model 1886 Win. using a hard-cast 500-grain bullet at 1700 FPS would be a lot better.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, my bad.

What did you not like about the gun?

I just thought it looked really cool, it sure would make a great gun to put over a fireplace, though.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are a good looking gun and were chambered in many calibers. I had one in 30-40 krag. My brother has several but are chambered in sort of off the wall calibers. It was TR's favorite rifle for big game in 405 Winchester. I have a single shot in 405 Winchester. I have seen several new m-95's in 405 Win. but they are spendy. (1800-2400) bucks. You might want to check out the Marlin Cowboy in 45-70. For another classy looking rifle, take a look at the new H&R Buffalo Classic 45 LC. New for this year.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never liked the Win 95. They lack the qualties that a levergun should have- sleek, lightweight, and handy. They might be a great gun if you want a levergun that fires bolt action cartridges, but to me they seem silly. The Savage 99 rifles pull off this concept a whole lot better, though without the heavy hitter cartridges of the win 95.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Sorry, my bad.

What did you not like about the gun?

I just thought it looked really cool, it sure would make a great gun to put over a fireplace, though.
The box magazine makes the action portion too blocky-heavy and messes up the balance. The Browning designs that use a tubular magazine handle a lot better!

As Briman says, if you want to use bolt-action cartridges, use a Savage 99 or a Browning BLR.....
Old 02-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Young-gun, I suggest you go to the nearest Borders Books and get a copy of the latest edition of Cartridges of The World.

I believe you will find it full of extremely useful and interesting information, not to mention some wonderful and bizarre cartridges.......
Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool, I'll look into that.