Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 best lever action rifle ? >

best lever action rifle ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best lever action rifle ?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:28 PM

Default best lever action rifle ?

What would you chose as the best lever gun . I'm looking at .357 , .44 and 30/30 . What kind of accuracy are you getting at 100 yards ? Any malfunctions or faliure to shoot ? How slick is the lever ? Or is it stiff ? I plan on shooting targets , varmints and maybe an occasional deer . Or maybe you bought one that I should stay away from . Thanks .
Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best lever action rifle ?

If I were buying a new lever gun today, it would be the Marlin 336XLR in 30-30. I would (and do) shoot Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. I have not heard a bad thing about the XLR guns. For more info on lever guns, got Marlinowners.com.http://www.marlinowners.com
Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

I think your best bet in the calibers you mentioned is definitly the Marlin 336. I have two that are a dream to carry one in .35 and the other in 30-30. I don't think you can go wrong and you won't break the bank as compared to most new bolt actions. Goodluck!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

1886 in 45-70. Tom.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can find one I would say a Savage 99 in 30-30 is "best"
Browning has a wide offering in it's BLR
Marlin makes a good hun also

Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 AM

The difference in calibers you mention is important.
What do you want out of the gun? Would it be a dedicated deer rifle? If so, then you should get the 30-30 and my suggestion would be the Marlin 336. Winchesters are good guns too, but prices on them are too inflated, bs in my opinion, and I personally think the Marlin isa better hunting gun as well. I have had a Marlin 30-30 that I shot, and won, in several Cowboy long range events, really liked the gun. Traded up for a Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55 and never looked back. Superb gun.
If you are looking for a gun you could deer hunt with, out to about 100 yards, and be able to shoot small game with reduced loads and plink for fun, then my suggestion would be the Marlin 1894 in 357. The 44 or 45 would be ok (probably a tad better for deer), but for plinking 44 and 45 ammo can become a bit expensive. If you reload, you can load up some very fun rounds that shoot around 650 fps in 357 all the way up to full magnum, jacketed rounds for deer. I shoot cowboy and have a 94 in 357. I have been shooting the gun for 6 years now and a very conservative estimate on rounds through the gun would be between200 and 300 thousand. Admittedly, I only shoot lead bullets at around 700fps but I have only had to replace the carrier in it once due to wear, but nothing else. These are great guns and will last forever.
Good luck
Hank
Old 02-23-2007, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

If I were buying a new lever gun today, it would be the Marlin 336XLR in 30-30. I would (and do) shoot Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. I have not heard a bad thing about the XLR guns. For more info on lever guns, got Marlinowners.com.http://www.marlinowners.com
Ditto on this, but I would also want one in .444 as well.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Savage in 250-3000. I use my dad's old rifle that is over 60 years old. Never has that gun filed to smoothly cycle a round. Never jammed or had any problem of any kind.

As for a new rifle? The Henry Big Boy in .44 or .45. Brass reciever and a walnut stock.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:40 PM

Uhhh,
Let's see.

If a person just "had" to go with 44.

Henry Big Boy. Soft brass reciever that will tarnish and wear, goofy mag tube that you have to load from the top. Not a great reputation. Cowboy shooters that have used them give them poor marks for both speed and handling compared to all the other guns normally used. No track record for durability, dependability, parts availability or customer service. Cost about $650.

Marlin 1894 SS. Stainless reciever. Loads from the side like a normal lever gun. Will last for your and your kids lives. Parts readily available from Marlin and/or Brownell's and many other sources. A tried and proven design, dependable and repariable. Probably one of the premier American arms companies for price, dependability, durability and customer service.
Price about $550.

Now, which one would you really choose?

Hank
Old 02-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would go with a ruger 96/44 if your going with a 44 mag. super light and fun to shoot. its like a big lever 10/22. i love the rotary clip.

Quick Reply: best lever action rifle ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.