Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Youth Model ? >

Youth Model ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Youth Model ?

Old 02-20-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Youth Model ?

My daughter ig going to start hunting with me this year. She just turned 11. The deal is this year she sits in the stand with me. I just bought a 2 person ladder stand. If she can sit still and quiet and wants to keep hunting I'll buy her a rifle and she can do the shooting with me in the stand the following season. I thought about getting her a single shot break open in .243 but they are a little high for what you get I think. It looks like just about everyone makes a youth model in a bolt action. Will the action just drop into an adult stock ? I know it would be a short action. At least that way the rifle could grow with her.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Youth Model ?

I bought a New England arms .243 for my two sons this past year. We were fortunate that both were able to harvest small bucks. I did not find it expensive at $260 for the gun and scope package. If I had to do it again, I would buy the same gun again.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Wayspr

I bought a New England arms .243 for my two sons this past year. We were fortunate that both were able to harvest small bucks. I did not find it expensive at $260 for the gun and scope package. If I had to do it again, I would buy the same gun again.
Would you be able to fit an adult stock to it later ? How old are your boys and is the recoil bad ?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got my son a Remington Model 7 Youth in .243 for his 12th birthday. He's taken three does with it over the last two hunting seasons. When he gets a little bigger, we'll get an adult stock for it.

I think Weatherby sells a youth model that is packaged with both youth and adult stocks.

Howa also makes a youth model, and you can pick one up for around $400 with a 3-9 scope already mounted. Here's the Howa: http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/center_fire_rifles&start=10&selectedSKU=03 45-03404-0243
Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

The deal is this year she sits in the stand with me. I just bought a 2 person ladder stand. If she can sit still and quiet and wants to keep hunting I'll buy her a rifle and she can do the shooting with me in the stand the following season.
Bad idea IMHO. She is likely going to get incredibly bored just sitting there knowing that she isn't going to get to pull the trigger. Kids are very impatient and getting up ar 3 or 4 in the morning to just sit there freezing her butt off for nothingisn't whatmost kids want to do. She's got to have some kind of self satisfaction when she does see a deer. Good luck keeping her still and quiet if you are only going to allow her to observe. Maybe the first couple of times in the woods but it won't last long.

I suggest you get her the rifle asap and get her shooting it. Come the next hunting season she will have had plenty of practice and will be excited to know that she may actually get to pull the trigger and kill her first deer.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bud takes his kid w/out a gun and he gets bored very quickly. He also has a double person ladder stand. He has put camo up around the bottom about 3 ft high so the kid can sit wrapped in sleeping bag out of site and is able to play with his game boy or take a nap w/out being able to be seen by the deer.

I know the Rem 700 Yute models are full length actions just have shorter barrel and stocks. I just put a Yute model 308 with a 20' barrel in a adult stock.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 PM

I think a single shot in .243 would be a good first gun. Very simple to operate. I didn't think they were that cheap. For under $300.00 scope and all the NEFmight be the way to go as long as an adult stock could be fitted later. I want to be sure hunting is for her before buying her a rifle. I want to be sure she can handle seeing a deer being shot and field dressed. As far as being bored on stand we'll have to see. She does have an ipod. I figure if I don't let her sleep on the way to the lease she'll fall asleep once we get up in the stand before daylight. I do plan on getting the blind that fits the stand. Does anyone know if an adult stock fits a youth model NEF ?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Does anyone know if an adult stock fits a youth model NEF ?
Yes, the only difference is the length of the stock.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Model: R243YMB

.243 WIN 22" BLUE BREAK OPEN RIFLE
Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the replies, I might look at one of the triple combo Rossi packages. A .22 rifleand 20g shotgun along with a .243 would be very useful.

Quick Reply: Youth Model ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.