logo
 

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns

Guns Like firearms themselves, there"ôs a wide variety of opinions on what"ôs the best gun.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
 
dway87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 309
Send a message via Yahoo to dway87
Default Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

I went to Wal-Mart today and happened to stop but the gun counter and noticed the Remington 700 was only $314.00. Is it me or is that a steal? It was the synthetic 700 and I believe it was a 270 win.
__________________
Marlin Model 60 .22 Long Rifle
Maverick/Mossberg Model 88 12 Gauge Shotgun
Marlin Model 336W .30-30 Rifle
Remington Model 700 BDL LH .243 Rifle
dway87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 119
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Cheaper then my WalMart @ $351 as of this evening, they had 2 - .270's and 3 -.243's. Considered getting one as my tax money is burning holes in my pocket but holding out for a 7mm-08. They look like any other Rem700 to me, but I vaguely remember some manufacturer or another being accused of cheaping up the WalMart slated ones in oreder to meet their pricing demands.
TxStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Nontypical Buck
 
TUK101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spokane Washington
Posts: 1,042
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Quote:
ORIGINAL: TxStorm

but I vaguely remember some manufacturer or another being accused of cheaping up the WalMart slated ones in oreder to meet their pricing demands.
That sounds about right. They do it with clothes and most everything else, so why not guns? The guns should still function ok, just stay away from the model 710's.
__________________
Just a gun enthusiast looking to gain more knowledge.
TUK101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:38 AM   #4
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 220
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Somehave indeed have done this... For example if you see a Winchester model 70 for a cheap price say sub 300 bucks used. Check and see if it has the mauser extractor on the bolt. If not,Winchester made a cheaper version of the Model 70 to be sold at wal-marts. They shoot fine, and are worth the 300 bucks just not a true model 70...
rynigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Matador, Texas
Posts: 284
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rynigner

Somehave indeed have done this... For example if you see a Winchester model 70 for a cheap price say sub 300 bucks used. Check and see if it has the mauser extractor on the bolt. If not,Winchester made a cheaper version of the Model 70 to be sold at wal-marts. They shoot fine, and are worth the 300 bucks just not a true model 70...
Not true, you are refering to the claw extractor, which was present on the pre-64 models, and the classic models, Wal Mart does not sell a cheaper version of various guns, this is a rumor, that was started to shift business to home town, and locally owned gun shops.
Pighunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: grottoes,va.
Posts: 764
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

i shot one of the 270win rem 710 a few weeks ago ,shooting 130 rem factory ammo i was able to cut holes at 100yds . not bad for the rounds thru it. the action is a little rough ,but it sure shot good.
srwshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
 
longrifle1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,688
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rynigner

Somehave indeed have done this... For example if you see a Winchester model 70 for a cheap price say sub 300 bucks used. Check and see if it has the mauser extractor on the bolt. If not,Winchester made a cheaper version of the Model 70 to be sold at wal-marts. They shoot fine, and are worth the 300 bucks just not a true model 70...
Not true, you are refering to the claw extractor, which was present on the pre-64 models, and the classic models, Wal Mart does not sell a cheaper version of various guns, this is a rumor, that was started to shift business to home town, and locally owned gun shops.
100% correct pighunter. That is one of the biggest lines of bull shooters have ever fallen for.

Our Wal-mart, before getting rid of all of their guns, had a couple 700 ADL synthetics priced at 299.99. I was really tempted to pick one up, but I don't have much use for a 270 or 30-06.
longrifle1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Boone & Crockett
 
ipscshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 10,666
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

$314.00 is the regular price for a 700 ADL at Academy. I don't think they have many left, since Remington stupidly stopped making the ADL.

And, anyone who thinks that Wal-Mart is selling cheaply madeversions of rifles is out of their mind. Imagine the costs and logistics of running two separate manufacturing lines, with guns bearing the same labels. Imagine the potentialliability issues if it were discovered. Can you say class action? The guns at Wal-Mart are the same guns that you'll find at any other distributor.
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
Dominant Buck
 
Rebel Hog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WC FL
Posts: 26,324
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

Wal Mart does not sell a cheaper version of various guns, this is a rumor, that was started to shift business to home town, and locally owned gun shops.
10-4! Let the truth be told!
__________________
Jesus said, "he who stands firm to the end will be saved" Mark 13:13.

Live Life in such a way that those who do not know Christ will come to know Him because they know you

"In God We Trust"
Rebel Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
 
dway87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 309
Send a message via Yahoo to dway87
Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Quote:
ORIGINAL: srwshooter

i shot one of the 270win rem 710 a few weeks ago ,shooting 130 rem factory ammo i was able to cut holes at 100yds . not bad for the rounds thru it. the action is a little rough ,but it sure shot good.
Yeah it is very rough. I wish i never had that gun but i am stuck with it for now. one time at the range after firing a few shots the bolt jammed on me!
__________________
Marlin Model 60 .22 Long Rifle
Maverick/Mossberg Model 88 12 Gauge Shotgun
Marlin Model 336W .30-30 Rifle
Remington Model 700 BDL LH .243 Rifle
dway87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHEAP REMINGTON HEVI SHOT! talkingabouthunting Waterfowl Hunting 1 12-28-2008 01:39 PM
abu garcia reels and wal mart. CHEAP chiefks Freshwater Fishing 7 12-09-2006 04:05 PM
Remember my cheap Wal-Mart target?? ButchA Bowhunting Gear Review 10 10-07-2005 02:10 AM
Lost a good one due to cheap remington ammo mastinson Whitetail Deer Hunting 36 12-04-2004 08:37 PM

 

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:32 PM.