Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 anybody had experience with these "varmint" rounds? >

anybody had experience with these "varmint" rounds?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

anybody had experience with these "varmint" rounds?

Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 AM

Default anybody had experience with these "varmint" rounds?

I looked on the back of a box of .270 ammo I had purchased a while back and it had a break down of the different types or whatever for that particular brand and caliber. One for varmints, one for whitetail size game, one for larger game like moose, then one for "elephants" though I'm not so sure I'd ever point a .270 at an elephant. It just doesn't feel like enough hehe.

Anyway, the varmints are supposed to expand rapidly/disentigrate upon impact and I was very curious in trying some of these for coyote hunting as I've heard that most .270 rounds will blow a huge hole in the hide. I simply wanted to get opinions first before spending my money on them.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:54 AM

Default RE: anybody had experience with these "varmint" rounds?

Well,

I've done quite a bit of coyote hunting in my time, and I can say unequivocally(sp?) that I've never used a 270. Not that it wouldn't kill a coyote, because it certainly would. Varmint rounds are highly frangible to, for lack of a better word, self destruct. This is to limit ricochets and such. If you are planning on saving pelts to sell I would suggest something other than a 270, because pelt damage will be severe. Truth be told a less frangible bullet would likely do less damage to the pelt. The best pelt weapon for coyotes I have is a 22 hornetshooting45 grain Sierra Blitzkings. small entry wound and usually no exit.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Sierra makes a 90 gr. HP for the .270 that I have used with very good results. Edward A.Matunas made mention of the amazing accuracy potential of this bullet in an article I read in the late 70's, using a load of IMR 4350 a couple grains below maximum. Very similar in performance and recoil to a .243. A friend of mine has also used 100 gr. factory .270 Winchester loads with pretty fair results.

Bad news is that both of these bullets are hard on coyote pelts. I think you would be better off using a Barnes X bullet - really doesn't matter what weight, whichever one your gun shoots best. Unless you hit big bone, these will usually whistle right through a coyote and leave an exit hole about the size of your little finger.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM

how do you feel about, say, #4 buckshot from a 12g?
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

how do you feel about, say, #4 buckshot from a 12g?
Buckshot, works great on varmints, but you need to be within about 45 yards or so.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

About anything will blow a hole in a coyote pelt if you are using a expanding bullets.Barnes are pretty exspensive yot'e fodder.
Go with a full metal jacket bullet.They work great,aslong as you don't hit a bone.
Buck shot works well with in 40 yds,I have used # 4, 3 inch turkey loads on yot'es under 40 yds and kills them dead also.