Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which barrel maker? >

Which barrel maker?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which barrel maker?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which barrel maker?

I think I might treat myself to a new barrel for my TC Encore for Christmas. I have some cash thats burning a hole in my pocket. I'd like a nice deer caliber, that is not a magnum. Was thinking 7mm-08, 308, 6.5x55, or something along those lines. I already have 2 243s, 308, 300Sav, 7.5 Swiss, 30-06, 7mm Rem mag, 223s, 50cal, and I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting.

What I want is a stainless steel medium weight barrel. What cartridge do you think I should get, and what barrel makers can I expect SUB MOA with?

I have a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 and a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 sitting on the shelf, so one of those scopes will be topping it off.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which barrel maker?

I think its hard to beat Fox Ridge for the prices. Go to www.foxridgeoutfitters.com click on custom shop. A friend of mine in Fargo who is really into Encores really recommends their barrels. What I have bought from them has always been excellent quality.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll check out those barrels JamesB. You have to have a reccomendation for a new cartridge to try out! I have faith in ya reccomending a good one.

It needs to have more smack than a 243 and not a magnum, so I've left an open playing field for you.....
Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered a 6.5 X 284 from Fox Ridge. I tried to order from Bull Berry but could not get through. I also tried to order from EABCO-but they kept trying to sell me a Fox Ridge. So I bought a Fox Ridge. Tom.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:27 PM

I'll have to contact my brother to ask the name - as I can't recall it just now. There is a custom shop in Alexandria, MN that is known primarily for working on Ruger #1's, that has quite a few Encore barrels he creates as well. Just can't remember the name right now - maybe James B knows.

Have you shot an Encore with rifle barrels much? If so, wondering how your accuracy has been. I've only used my Encore in ML form, so I have no experience with rifle calibers. I've have one hunting aquaintance who was not that complimentary with his experience - just wondering if it has worked for others.

IMO, I think I would go for a non-standard caliber in an Encore barrel, since it will be 'custom' to start with - being left handed, I don't have as many options in calibers as a RH shooter in bolts. A 250-300 AI would be interesting to me. I have no quarter bore yet, so that's part of the reason - I see you have that space open as well. Being located in South Dakota I would think your shooting could be at extended ranges, and the 250-300 AI should accomodate that.

Other thoughts - would you like a larger caliber? 35 Whelan is interesting - may or may not be the most useful in SD.

And as a side option, if you ended up wanting to sell either of the barrels later on for half price I would be standin 'n line - LOL.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are left handed, TC is putting out a left handed thumbhole stock right now that is truly the berries. I ordered one, and am getting ready to order another. As far as accuracy-all the ones i have shot(quit a few), have shot very well. All sub-MOA with minimal work. All handlods, but minimal work. Where is SSK located? Tom.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never shot an Encore with a rifle barrel before. I am interested in gettin a bigger bore down the line. I have always wanted a 45/70, so this may be the platform it is based on. Or else I will splurge and buy a Ruger #1 in 45/70.

Where I am located it is not uncommon, in fact, to shoot deer beyond 300 yards. I do stuff all of my own loads, and have all my hunting guns shooting around .5 MOA, so getting one to shoot shouldn't be too big of a problem.

The trigger on my Encore is pretty darned smooth and not overly heavy, haven't put it on my scale yet, but I bet it is around 4.5lbs, I would like to lighten it up a bit. Are Encores user friendly, or is it a smith job? I haven't done any research on the triggers yet.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:40 PM

Ithink the place is called E. Arthur Browne. http://eabco.com/

I live about 60 miles from there and I am thinking of driving over there and taking a look.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the link.

Here is a stupid question. Do the Encores have ejectors like a shotgun? Or do they have extractors?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Extractors. The shells dont pop out. ALthough Im not sure if they do in the shotgun barrels, Ive never tried one of them.

Quick Reply: Which barrel maker?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.