Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 smoothbore slug range for whitetails >

smoothbore slug range for whitetails

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

smoothbore slug range for whitetails

Old 09-24-2006, 08:25 PM

Default smoothbore slug range for whitetails

k, please dont flame me. i tried the search function, but i got nothing back, not even with just the term 'range'. so while i am waiting for someone to come out with a decent rifled slug barrel w/ sights for my browning gold, i will be hunting this year with my 12ga b-2000 and my fathers smoothbore slug barrel (which he has never shot). its got fully adjustable rifled sights. i dont know anyone who shoots a smoothbore so i have no idea on what kind of groups to expect. so could any of you tell me what the effective range is for a smooth bore, what group size to expect at a given say 50 yards or so, and what kind of slugs to shoot? i plan on shooting remington sluggers, but if there are better ones i'd like to hear. not to be cocky, but am a pretty good shot, so i think the hardware will determine my maximum range. also, i was a member here a while ack, but since i graduated college they shut down my email so i cant get my old password back for my username. thanks in advance.
Bob

ps. american barrel company makes a rifled slug barrel with sights for browning gold, but its made for 3.5" chamber. they dont even really make 3.5" slugs....i guess browning must have just sold more 3.5" guns than 3"

maybe a mod might want to move this to deer hunting if it needs to go there...i was not sure as of where to put this
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: smoothbore slug range for whitetails

I'm shooting a browning smooth bore for my A-5. Every gun shoots differently so I don't know about your gun but mine shoots 2-3" groups consistantly at 50 yards and i get 3-4" inch at 100 yards. Some people who shoots smooth bore barrel limits thier shotto 75 yards max. Try to shoot different brandsof slugs and find what your gun likes, mine don'tshoot good groups withremington sluggers but does great with winchesters and federals. All I have to say is go out to the range and sight in your gun until you're satified with your groups before heading to the woods.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a Remington 1100 back about 1976...This is a 2 3/4 inch gun with the 22 inch improved barrel and rifle sights...With the Remington sluggers it shot very well at 50...last time I shot it at a target...I had 2 touching at 50 yards, I'm 2 inches high there...At 100, I get about a 4 inch group....This used to be my main deer gun when I was younger In eastern NC they dog hunt alot, so I would go to one of our farms and sit in a likely spot in the morning...Killed a bunch of deer with that gun...I would load the first round with a slug and then 4...#1 buckshot (it preferred Winchester)...If I didn't kill a deer early and the dog hunters ran their dogs through I was ready for either a running shot, or a standing shot...

I also used this gun for dove, quail and jumping rabbits, out to 35 yards it was very effective with smaller shot as well...
Old 09-25-2006, 11:04 AM

I have witnessed acceptable accuracy for whitetails out to 100 yards.(3-4")

That is from a solid bench, through trial and error of diff. brand ammo, and a lot of time/practice.

...Moss 500 12 g, 2.75" winchester super x, 24" cylinder bore, rifle sights.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:33 PM

great, thanks guys. ill zero at 50 and see how it shoots at 75. ive been a bowhunter my whole life so 50 will seem far. im going out to test it now....ill let you all know how it goes.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:04 PM

I could be wrong, because I don't know anything about browning shotguns, but that american barrell company 3.5" rifled barrell you mentionedshould still be able to shoot 3" slugs. Will it not fit your gun?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:38 PM

I am a big fan of the winchester super-X slugs. I shoot them in my Ithaca deerslayer, my Remington 1100, and my scoped Winchester 120, and get great groups from each gun. I can consitently get 3" groups of 3 with the winchester at 100 yds. As far as open sights, my Ithaca will almost always get me 5" or less at 100 yds. These slugs are plenty deadly at 100 yards, but that is prettymuch my distancelimit. I have never had good luck with sluggers other than in a 20 gauge 1100 with a skeet barrel. Maybe they work a little better with the tighter constriction? I used to use federals, but had some feeding issues with their shells, and have never gone back. The winchester Super-X have just given me better shot to shot consistency. By all means though, try them all if you can.All that said, I don't like shooting any further than 50 yds with open sights, and youshould haveless than 4" groups at that range.

KEJ
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 PM

The 3.5" american barrel company barrel will hold 3" and i think 2 3/4" shells. however my gun is only a 3" reciever so the tang on the 3.5 is too long to fit. The guy i talked to at the company says its an easy mod and they should be comming out with a 3" barrel soon.

So i sighted the b-2000 in with sluggers (since i had a few boxes)... i dont have access to a range so i went between the railroad tracks and shot towars the bank. At 50yrds the first shot was 4" low and 4" left. i made the up and right adjustment and by bracing the gun against my thumb/tree, it was making 4" groups on bull. obviously with a bench id be doing better, but im not looking to reach out and touch one at 75-100 yards. no to start an argument, but at 50 the target looks small, i can only imagine the difficulty of a shot at 75 when its freezing, maybe some wind, and a deer walking through the woods (twigs branches etc.). i wont be taking that one, not with open sights anyhow. now i realize why i hear a shot followed by 3 or 4 imediatly after in november.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

50-125 yds mossberg 500A beneke slugs