Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accuracy of a 460 S&W >

Accuracy of a 460 S&W

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy of a 460 S&W

Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 AM
bigcountry

Default Accuracy of a 460 S&W

If you told me accuracy from factory ammo was possible, I would never believe you. I wouldn't even believe this post. I got 3" groups at 200 yards with my 460Smith and 200gr SST ammo. And 1.2" groups at 100. Simply amazing. Two of those shots were me adjusting the scope at 100yards on the right target. After that I shot athree shot group in the middle. Left is 200 yards. Bad news is the scope is moving. This is my second set. I used some bass pro ones first, and it moved alot, second these are warne magnum rings. One thing I notice is scope will move if you put it solidly on sand bags. But won't move if you only support the barrel on sandbags and hold the back with your hands.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:54 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Accuracy of a 460 S&W

By the way guys, I am not bragging here on my pistol abilities. I by no means am a keith elmer. I think I just got really lucky yesterday. I feel I can hold my own with rifles, but yesterday I was estatic. Best shooting I have ever done. I even got 2" groups at 50 yards with my hawkin. Should have played the lottery yesterday.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

By the way guys, I am not bragging here on my pistol abilities. I by no means am a keith elmer. I think I just got really lucky yesterday. I feel I can hold my own with rifles, but yesterday I was estatic. Best shooting I have ever done. I even got 2" groups at 50 yards with my hawkin. Should have played the lottery yesterday.
Is he related to Elmer Keith? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Good shooting. I would still like to get my hands on one of those Smith's to try out. I keep trying to talk my buddy into one so I can shoot his first and see how I like it.LOL
Old 09-24-2006, 06:02 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Is he related to Elmer Keith? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Good shooting. I would still like to get my hands on one of those Smith's to try out. I keep trying to talk my buddy into one so I can shoot his first and see how I like it.LOL
Yea, it was a joke, meaning, I don't know jack about long range pistol shooting. But I am going to learn.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

I'm impressed that you shot the gun 6 or 7 times in a row. That thing is a mule! I shot one last summer(w/oascope)when they came out and it was awesome...it did kick less than I was thinking it would...still kicked though...AWESOME Shooting!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:14 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: onebadf250

I'm impressed that you shot the gun 6 or 7 times in a row. That thing is a mule! I shot one last summer(w/oascope)when they came out and it was awesome...it did kick less than I was thinking it would...still kicked though...AWESOME Shooting!
Recoil is no problem with this gun. In fact it kicks less than my Mod29 44mag with 24gr H110 and 240gr XTP's. But it wieghs over twice as much, and has a muzzlebreak.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Recoil is no problem with this gun. In fact it kicks less than my Mod29 44mag with 24gr H110 and 240gr XTP's. But it wieghs over twice as much, and has a muzzlebreak.
The one I shot wasn't to bad for what it was. Your right on the weight, they are heavy. It didn't have a scope on it though and I can't remember if it had the muzzle break attached on the front or not...I want to say it did. I know you can interchange them. I had3 44mags. S&W 6 and 8" with no scope and an uberti w/a scope. That scope makes a huge difference on kick.

What kind and power scope do you have? 200yds is a long shot for a regular pistol type scope. Can you fit a pair of leupole or redfield rings on it. Not that I've shot alot of high powered guns but I had the same problem w/my turkey gun. Switched to a redfield ring and haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]