Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ruger super red hawk or the black hawk SS hunter? >

ruger super red hawk or the black hawk SS hunter?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ruger super red hawk or the black hawk SS hunter?

Old 11-05-2002, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default ruger super red hawk or the black hawk SS hunter?

I know that both revolvers have a good reputation for being good reliable hunting handguns but I was wondering which one would be the better shooter. Would the black hawk be a better shooter because of the single action only trigger or would that not be a factor because the super red hawk can be fired in single action mode? I like both of them and I know that you are at an advantage with the double action when you are encountered by dangerous game but where I hunt that is not an issue. I like the looks of the black hawk SS hunter but I was wondering if it's a better shooter than the SRH and if it can handle heavy handloads.
Thanks.

If you're not huntin' you're not livin'!!!!!!!!

Edited by - cam2 on 11/05/2002 10:14:22
Old 11-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ruger super red hawk or the black hawk SS hunter?

I don't own either, but I'd have to say it's just your preference of single vs double action.
My hunting handgun, a S+W 629 in 44Mag is double action, but I carry it to the outhouse with me in bear country and I'd have a hard time justifying the purchase of a second gun, so for me the double made sense.
Rugers are built like bricks. Hard to go wrong with either. I don't shoot single action, but maybe the lesser felt recoil of the single action the "rolls upward" in you rhand might make a difference to you.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:19 PM

In theory the Blackhawk would have a very, very slight accuracy advantage due to the shorter hammer fall in single action mode. Shorter locktimes lead to more accuracy potential. But I don' t think you' d ever notice the difference in a hunting revolver.

I' ll also say pick the one you like best. My pick would be the single action gun.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both are great guns,I would recommend holding both of them and see which one feels the best to you. I have a regular Super Blackhawk and a Super Redhawk. I like them both about equally. The SRH does have the advantage of the D/A.Incase of an emergency the split second the D/A saves could make a difference.I also feel that the SRH will handle full house loads better over a longer period of time due to the difference in the weight.The Redhawk is also a great D/A Revolver. Either way you go you'll get a quality made gun Made in the USA. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:04 PM

...I think the regular Redhawk would be the best choice... the Super Redhawk is just too big and heavy for my taste. The regular Redhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel is just about right... not too heavy to wear on a belt holster, but substantial enough to make it comfortable to shoot. To me, the perfect hunting hadgun would be the stainless 5 1/2" Redhawk in 45 Colt.... and the double action on a Redhawk is VERY smooth. Single action is pretty good, also.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 11-05-2002, 05:55 PM

I have a stainless Redhawk in 44 mag w/5 1/2" barrel and it is very accurate. I also have a superblack hawk w/ 7 1/2" in 44 mag. Like em both but I have a preference for single actions. That's what it boils down to is your preference. Both are great choices.

SOTHRDNK
Old 11-13-2002, 02:56 PM

If you're going to be hunting with heavy bullets, you might want to check to see if the cylinder on 1 is longer than the other.

I shot a super that had been worked over and had a great trigger in SA or DA and a comped barrel. It was nice.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:34 PM

Look at the super redhawk in 454. awesome gun!!!!!!!!!!

i wants one!!!!!!!!!

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-13-2002, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends on what gun feels best to you. If they both feel great then Its up to if you want D/a or S/a. If you don't mind either then both will shoot great with select handloads well that is my experience with rugers I needed handloads to get there full potential. But if you are worried about which one will handle the heavy loads better for longer and not fly apart then its the ruger super redhawk. Strongest gun around outside the five shooters

Brian

Old 11-14-2002, 08:38 PM

I would agree with going with what feels better. I don't own either but playing aroung at the gunshop I like the feel of the round trigger guard on the blackhawk over the point on the redhawk. To me the corner of the redhawk really smacks my hand when shot.

Quick Reply: ruger super red hawk or the black hawk SS hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.