Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Sighting in Question >

Sighting in Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in Question

Old 11-01-2002, 03:17 PM

Default Sighting in Question

I just sighted in my 270 at 200 yards at a place with an indoor range that was 25 yards. They type the info into the computer and based on the ballistics, it tells them where to draw a red line on the target. Then you aim at the bulls eye, but are supposed to hit the red line which is less than an inch below the bulls-eye.

Is this a very reliable way to sight in a rifle? I am hunting in the am so I hope so. when i was done, i put a couple in a row right below the red line--that is the top of the hole was right below the line. Does this translate into a larger degree of error at 200 yards?

Also, why is the red line below the bulls eye? I thought that the bullet came out of the gun high and then begin dropping?
Old 11-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting in Question

I'd say it's a good way to start, but I for one wouldn't trust that rifle to a 200 yard shot on a deer without actually zeroing to to 200 actual yards.

I use the ballistic computations to begin the sight in proceedure at close ranges, since I don't have a boresighter, which will get me on paper. Then I back the target up to the range I intend to zero it at and actually shoot groups until the scope is adjusted. Then I shoot at a variety of ranges between and beyond the zero point to plot the actual trajectory. That way I know exactly where my bullet will be at a given range relitive to the line-of-sight.

There are too many things going on to rely on a computer to determine the zero for your specific rifle.

What you have right now, as far as I'm concerned, is a rifle sighted in at 25 yards. If you value clean kills I'd find a range that you can shoot out to your desired zero.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-01-2002, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, I to will use a ballistic program or table but just as a starting point. The only way to acheive a 200 yard zero is shoot at 200 yards.

Old 11-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

If you're only 1/4" off at 25 yards that could end up 1 inch at 100 yards. Could be 2 inches at 200 yards. If I were you I'd shoot to at least 100 yards to make sure. On my .270 I sight it in 2" high at 100 yards. It's about 1/2" high at 200 yards and about 6" low at 300 yards. From there it starts dropping real fast but I know this for a fact because I've shot at each distance. It's the only way to be absolutely positive.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:04 PM

redfish76

driftrider & skeeter 7MM are both absolutely right. However, you're going hunting not bench rest shooting. As for your sighting in, if you were shooting a bit low at 25 yrds and practically putting the bullets through the same hole and dead middle of the target IMHO you should be OK. You're talking 3 maybe 4 inches of error at 200 yds. Very few people and no one that I know of can hold that steady in a hunting environment anyway, hell you're doing good if you can hold a 3 inch 200 yd group off the bench. Enjoy your hunt. Chances are if you get a shot it will be a lot closer than 200 yds. anyway. gg.

"The instant you start talking about what you'll do if you lose, you have lost."
Old 11-01-2002, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Very few people and no one that I know of can hold that steady in a hunting environment anyway, hell you're doing good if you can hold a 3 inch 200 yd group off the bench. Enjoy your hunt.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I don't know about you, but I won't take a shot I'm not 100% sure of. With a 4x scope I guarantee I'll put it within 2&quot; of my intended aimpoint shooting offhand, or my finger won't touch the trigger. Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to convince a deer to stand is a spot that allows me to rest my rifle on a natural rest, and I'm too darn cheap to buy shooting stix.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
&quot;They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.&quot; -Ben Franklin
Old 11-01-2002, 10:01 PM

driftrider
If you can make an off hand shot at 200 yds and hit within 2 inches of your aim point, man you're one hell of a shot. My hat is off to you. I've been shooting and hunting for some 48 years and you're the first person I've come across that can do that. Not to mention the accuracy of your rifle to be able to group 2 inches at 200 yrds is in itself phenomenal. Some might say you're full of sh** but not me and some would say you're stretching the truth just a bit but not me, I'm just very impressed with your marksmanship. Now for me, I hit a moose broadside this fall with 2 shots at just under 175 yrds. (scoped later with rangefinder). The shots hit about 8 inches apart. One broke the shoulder and devasted the lung and heart. The other missed the heart but tore through the lung. I was happy with my shots. I guess you would have obviously done better. gg.

&quot;The instant you start talking about what you'll do if you lose, you have lost.&quot;
Old 11-01-2002, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh no...NOT 200! Never even tried shooting that far out with a scoped rifle. I can say that I can hit the black on a USMC &quot;D&quot; target about 3-5 out of five times with an M16A2 at 200 meters in the offhand.

Looking at my post I omitted the &quot;at 100 yards part.&quot; I'm no Carlos Hathcock, and I didn't mean to make you think I was.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't trying to blow smoke up anyone's a$$.

However, I will disagree with you about the 2&quot; group at 200 yards part. I know people who would consider a rifle that, with handloaded ammo, only shot 2&quot; groups at 200 yards a POS. I'm in the process of saving up for a benchrest rifle, and the guy who inspired me to try benchrest shooting had a Savage 12BVSS in .308 Win that would consistantly shoot groups that could be completely covered by a quarter at 200 yards. And he wasn't happy with it! After shooting a couple of groups to zero the scope he proceeded to shoot golf balls off the birm with startling regularity (8 for 10 easily). But remember, he was shooting off a very stable varmint rest from a shooting bench, and not under field conditions.

Mike

NRA Member
&quot;They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.&quot; -Ben Franklin

Edited by - driftrider on 11/01/2002 23:40:10
Old 11-02-2002, 08:39 AM

driftrider
Do doubt about the supreme accuracy of bench rest shooters and their rifles. When I mentioned 2 inch groups at 200 yrds being phenomenal I was refering to hunting rifles...I guess I wasn't too clear in my writing either LOL. I will agree with you that if one is not 100 % sure of making the shot then don't take the shot regardless of the distance. I did think you were stretching it a bit so thanks for taking the time to explain and not being offended by my razzing you. gg.

&quot;The instant you start talking about what you'll do if you lose, you have lost.&quot;
Old 11-02-2002, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

No problem,

I'm glad you pointed out my misstatement. I can only DREAM of the day I would shoot that well at 200 yards. If I were you I'd have hoisted the BS flag too.

Mike

NRA Member

Quick Reply: Sighting in Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.