HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Slug Gun Recoil (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/14829-slug-gun-recoil.html)

Recruit 11-04-2002 06:29 AM

Slug Gun Recoil

The Remington Copper Solids (1 oz. 2 3/4) sabot slugs I used in my 870 Express with a rifled barrel indicate 2040 ft. lbs of energy at the muzzle. As a relatively new shooter, the recoil of this gun is a little disturbing.

My buddy has a Savage bolt action (also scoped) in 0.270. After shooting both guns at the range this weekend, both my buddy and I agree the Savage does not kick as hard as the 870. Although I'm not sure what brand/bullet he was using, published numbers I found for this caliber are in the 2500-3000 ft. lb range.

If the 0.270 ammo has roughly 35% more energy at the muzzle than the sabots, why do the sabots kick harder?

eldeguello 11-04-2002 06:49 AM

RE: Slug Gun Recoil

There are two main factors which affect the amount a gun recoils. One is the weight of the gun, and the other is the total weight of the "ejecta", which is the combined weight of the projectile and the propellant powder. The reason why your 870 recoils almost twice as much as a high-powered rifle in the .270-.30/'06 class is that it is relatively ligh in weight, uses about the same weight of powder, and shoots a slug or shot load which weights a lot more (1 oz, or 437.5 grains+ for the shotgun, vs 130-150 grains for the rifle)!! A lightweight shotgun firing slugs or heavy waterfowl loads has almost as much free recoil as some "elephant guns" in the .450/.470 Nitro Express class!!

Keep yore powder dry!!

SCRIDER1 11-04-2002 10:11 AM

I have hunted with an 870 Express with rifled barrel for several years...it is in fact my preferred weapon...I shoot Winchester 1 oz sabots and I can tell you it kicks like a mule. I believe the difference between the slug gun and the rifle's kick is the weight of the projectile. But to me, the extra recoil is an acceptable trade-off for the incredible knock-down power I get with the slug gun. Not one buck I've taken with it has taken a single step after being hit. All of them went down like a piano got dropped on them (shot from above) and one I shot from the ground spun 90 degrees and fell facing the opposite direction from where he was when I hit him! I've also found that I easily get good groups with it out to 75-100 yards (have not tried further), which is more than adequate for the area I hunt. I have to admit the trip to the range to sight in is a bit unpleasant, though!

Recruit 11-04-2002 11:38 AM

So apparently muzzle energy is not a good indicator of recoil? I thought muzzle energy was just the product of the bullet weight and it's velocity. Granted the sabot at 437.5 grains is about 3 times the weight of the 150 grain .270, but the velocity is also less for the sabot. Although probably not technically correct, multiplying the weight of the bullet by the velocity yields:

Sabot: 437.5 grains x 1450 fps = 634,375
0.270: 150 grains x 2850 fps = 427,500

Not sure of the units here but the products seem much more in line proportionately with the difference in recoil we felt at the range.

Published muzzle energy for the sabot and the 0.270 are 2040 ft. lbs. and 2705 ft. lbs. respectively. What good then are muzzle energy numbers if not a good indicator of recoil?

Deleted User 11-05-2002 12:29 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

eldeguello 11-05-2002 07:03 AM

Recruit, muzzle energy (foot/pounds) is the product of the weight of the projectile times the SQUARE of the velocity. Momentum is the product of the weight of the projectile IN POUNDS times just the plain ol' velocity, and gives you a better idea of recoil in accordance with Newton's Third Law of Motion, but the weight of the powder charge and the velocity of propellant gases must be incliuded in the computation. The constant given to gas velocity is usually 4700 feet per second. So, as you can see, the expression of energy in foot/pounds is prejudiced in favor of high velocities rather than projectile weight, and is thus very misleading. If you are really interested in calculation of recoil, I recommend that you read Chap. XII, The Theory of Recoil, that begins on P 279 of Hatcher's Notebook, by Maj. Gen. Julian Hatcher.

Keep yore powder dry!!

TreestandEd 11-05-2002 10:36 PM

Wow little to tech for me. All i know is every pump I ever had kicked bad when shooting slugs.It can be a problem if you have to get another shot off quickly and accuratly..
I always was told that semi autos made much better slug guns for that reason

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING

Recruit 11-07-2002 06:38 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a few options to reduce the recoil of the slug gun. They are:

1) Replace the stock recoil pad with a Tru-Glo, Kickeez, Pachmayer, etc. Anyone recommend one over the other? I saw the Tru-Glo this past weekend but the package indicates it only fits the synthetic stock on the 870. Mine is a wood stock.

2) Is there a 12 gauge sabot slug with a little less kick? Maybe a 7/8 oz slug with equal or less velocity than the Remington Copper 1 oz. sabots?

3) Adding a 1/2"H x 1"W x3"L piece of tungsten to my b-sqaure scope mount. This would increase the weight of the gun by 1 pound. The tungsten would be mounted between the scope rings below the scope and attached with screws up through the cantilevered portion of the b-square. I could even blue the tungsten to match. Not sure about what additional force this may place on the b-square.

Any comments regarding these options would sure be welcomed.

eldeguello 11-07-2002 07:21 AM

You could also fill the buttstock cavity with lead shot to add weight....In addition to the tungsten, this would dampen recoil considerably!!

Keep yore powder dry!!

Jackslapper 11-07-2002 07:08 PM

I say let her kick. You won't notice or feel it as you are squeezing off at that buck in your sights.