Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun Slug vs. Rifle >

Shotgun Slug vs. Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Slug vs. Rifle

Old 07-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Slug vs. Rifle

Andeven the lowly 30-30 win has a flatter trajectory than a shotgun slug.
Stumble, take a look at the ballistics on your favorite 30-30 factory ammo.Then compare that to the 12ga Remington Core lokt Ultra's.I would likeyour honest opinion of which round you would think is a better deer round at ranges from 25-150yds.(Rifled shotgun ranges).

Rem data...
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/shotshell_slug_loads.asp
Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boy-As I stated,the 30-30 has a flatter trajectory than the slug.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

It depends where I would be hunting. If I'm hunting in thick swamps or heavy cover and my shots are going to be 20-25 yds, I use Sabots. If my shots are going to be 75yds or more, I use a rifle.
This would also work for me being that I've used both...
Old 07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper
As I stated,the 30-30 has a flatter trajectory than the slug.
As the topic was comparing shotgun to rifles, I have to assume we are only discussing distances where shotguns are ethically effective. I think most members here would agree that limits range to around 150yds.

While I am too tired to do the exact conversions, it looks to me like the Remmington Core Lokts have virtually identical trajectory to the 30-30's out to that 150yd range....Possibly even flatter. (The Rem data has a 150yd zero, while the 30-30 data I am looking at is for a 100yd sight in, as I mentioned I have no interest in doing the full conversions, I think even a simple review of the charts will prove my point.)

While I know your comment only related to trajectory....Cleary, given the fact that both trajectories are almost identical, from a purely ballistics pespective, the Remington Core Loktsis a far superior choice tothe 30-30 delivering over 20% more energy at a distance of 100yds. (Recoil however is another issue however..)
Old 07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I am too tired to do the exact conversions, it looks to me like the Remmington Core Lokts have virtually identical trajectory to the 30-30's out to that 150yd range....Possibly even flatter. (The Rem data has a 150yd zero, while the 30-30 data I am looking at is for a 100yd sight in, as I mentioned I have no interest in doing the full conversions, I think even a simple review of the charts will prove my point.)
Using the trajectory charts on the remington site that you provided a link for

slug +2.4" at 100yards for a 150 yard zero

30-30-150gr load +1.6" for a 150yard zero

Therefore the slug drops more from 100 yards to 150 yards.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being a slug shooter I would consider the .6" differencedrop between the 170gr 30-30, and the 385gr 12ga to be "virtually identical trajectories" for deer hunting performance. (I agree you are correct in the original statement, that the 30-30 is flatter).

More importantly, (at least for my own purposes). I would never sacrifice a 20%+ drop in energyin hopes of gaininga maximum trajectory difference of .6" on deer sized game.

However, I can understand how shooters that are accustomed to shooting at longer distances don't view the comparison in the same light.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree you are correct in the original statement, that the 30-30 is flatter
That was the only point that I was making.I do not use slugs and never would consider doing so,because my average shot at deer would be around 200 yards with the possibility of a 400+ yard shot.The cartridges that I use provide much more energy and a much flatter trajectory than is possible with slugs givenmy hunting conditions.Also wind drift would be a major concern with slugs at longer distances.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coming from Ohio, used 12 ga. slugs most of my life. Do the trick! [8D]
Old 07-18-2006, 09:48 PM

i currently will use both. it depends on where i hunt and the laws on what you can use and so on. if you are going to hunt somewhere where rifle is acceptable AND you have a potential shot of over 100 yards then go with a rifle. but, if you live somewhere where you are not going to get a shot over 100 yrds. then the possibilty of using a slug gun is there. i would prefer a rifle just because it is going to be more accurate and will leave a cleaner shot. as far as cal/gauge rifle id use a .270 bolt action and for slug id use a 12 gauge without a question.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 PM
DM

"If" i was given the choise of shooting a deer with a slug gun (you pick the ammo) or a properly loaded 30-30, (you pick the range) i wouldtake the 30-30 every time!

All of the medium power range of deer rifles out perform a 30-30, and they easily out perform a shot gun slug too. (if they are properly loaded) I just don't understand why someone who can hunt with a rifle, and owns both firearms, would pick a slugfor close range and a rifle for further out.

The rifle will work at both ranges, it's the obvious choise.

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: Shotgun Slug vs. Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.