Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only >

Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Jeep,

I also just realized I made an assumption that you may not have been aware of… Many of the more demanding Varmint shooters favor scopes with side mounted AO adjustments. This is of course as opposed to the older style where the adjustment ring was on the objective bell. This is why they favor the left hand port as it already leaves their hand right next to the AO ring.

(In fact most of the top of line custom varmint rigs are now featuring right hand bolt--right hand loading [/i]even for left hand shooters for many of these same reasons..but that is another topic as this thread was meant to discuss factory guns…)

Side Focus A quick way to beat parallax
My favorite varmint rifles have the bolt handle and loading port on the left side, even though I shoot from the right shoulder. This way I can load and operate the bolt at the same time my right hand is moving the rifle to the next target.
The beauty of the parallax focusing knob, like the one on this Zeiss scope, is that with my left hand already close to the port side focusing knob, it takes only a moment to bring the target into sharp focus, even as I’m applying pressure to the trigger. You literally never have to take your face off the stock. It’s incredible how quickly you can acquire targets and get them into crisp focus this way, which means you’re able to burn a whole lot more powder in a day than ever before.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know that I couldn't fire out of a single shot as fast as a bolt action. But some people might be able to. I just like it because you can load it up and start walking around and not have to carry ammo in your pockets. That Savage does look pretty nice though, they might be getting their quality up with that one.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

They have a 1" guarentee on their Savage 10ml's...If it is not an actual advertised guarentee I know it is an implicit guarentee.

If they are willing to back their muzzleloaders in that manner....nuf said..

(As for the Cooper's...of course they are one ofthe best...however they are also not at all in the price league of the brands mentioned...)
There's a big difference between 1" and 1/2" groups. There's also a big difference between a muzzle loader and a varmint gun and there's a big difference between actual advertised guarantees and implicit guarantees.

I take that Savage offers no guarantee in accuracy. nuff said.....

A firearms company nowdays puts alot of pressure on themselves to claim this accuracy....if not ....more would do so would'nt you think?

I know that we all have different opinions on things....and that's good.

As far as Coopers go, they were included in the survey, so that's why I picked them. I also agree that they are priced considerably higher than the others but you are getting asuperb firearm.My opinion is that theyare actually in a league of their own and cant be compared to Ruger,Savage etc......but they were included.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby Mark V Super Varmint Master Single Shot .220 Swift. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know whats wrong I cant get this damn computer to load my pictures . I wanted to show you all my Ruger m77 MKII .220 swift targets. It will almost hole for hole at 100 yards. All the work I did was the trigger , $35.00 at the gun smith and presto a real varmit rifle was born !!! My nef .243 in bull barrel with alittle work does shoot good too. I also have a savage but in a 116fss.300 mag I lost alot of faith in that rifle when the barrel nut broke. I also put a laminated stock on it to jazz it up abit. So I guess back to the question I would pick the one that I shoot the best and stick to it and practice, practice, practice!!!!! So for me its RUGER M77 MKII
Old 06-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

............Guess as I remember, I never got too many second shots at varmints, or,on a good day even needed them...........a GOOD single shot rifle works fine, IMHO.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

My most accurate varmint rig is a Savage 116 with a 24X Leupold in the 7mm-08! Yes I said "7mm-08", that's my over 500 yard gun...
Old 06-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

............Guess as I remember, I never got too many second shots at varmints, or,on a good day even needed them...........a GOOD single shot rifle works fine, IMHO.
Good.....cause if you buy a Savage that's likely what you'll have.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry.....I couldn't help it!!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

HCH[/align]

Quick Reply: Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.