Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington or Ruger? >

Remington or Ruger?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington or Ruger?

Old 10-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington or Ruger?

Looking into getting my son a .22 rifle for Christmas. I'm leaning towards the Ruger 10/22 because I've heard alot of good things about it but am also interested in the Remington 597. The main thing I'm after is a very accurate and dependable rifle. My son will soon be 8 years old and the last thing I want is for him to get discouraged in his shooting. He's had a Daisy Red Rider for 2 years now and is really good with it considering what it is. I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Shane
Old 10-30-2002, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Remington or Ruger?

stay away from the 597's. there are tons of reports floating around on how bad that thing is. i would stick with a ruger but if money isn't an issue check out a kimber. beautiful rifles.

Old 10-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want dependable stay far away from the Remington 597. It is and will remain pure junk. The trigger is heavy and not at all adjustable. It won't even polish out because it is pot metal. The thing will jam at least once a magazine no matter what you do. The accuracy is hard to measure because between fighting the trigger and trying to keep the thing from jamming, you are more likely to wrap it around a tree than to shoot it. Do a search on the boards for 597 and you will find other horror stories. The Ruger 10/22 is a fine firearm that has proven itself dependable, accurate and highly customizable. You might also check on Marlin and Savage as both make excellent 22 rifles.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 597, it was fairly accurate despite the heavy trigger, but jammed alot if I shot lead bullets though copper guilded bullets worked ok.

Supposedly its a problem with the magazine and Remington has come out with steel magazines to remedy the situation. I couldn't tell you for sure if this is the proper fix because I sold mine before these magazines came out. If I were going to buy another semiauto .22 I would lean more toward the Ruger myself.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 10-30-2002, 04:05 PM

10/22.. prob my most favorite gun I have.. soo much fun to shoot, dependable, accurate.. never had a problem!

-----------------------------
webmaster - www.kraw.us
moderator - www.discussanything.com
Old 10-30-2002, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

love that 10/22!!
Old 10-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Host of Hosts

Get the 10/22 you won't regret it

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 10-30-2002, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

of them 2 go with the 10/22..he will grow with it and one day make it into his ideal plinker..theres millions of aftermarket parts and it would be a gun id get a kid...and add a stock for his birthday...and a barrel as another gift ect...if u want a cheaper gun and dont care about customizing..i have a savage model 62...i see em at walmart all the time for about 100$...mine shoots good and never had it jam or anything....

Old 10-30-2002, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, looks like I'll go with the 10/22. I know several people that have them that are happy. Just don't know anybody with the 597. Guess I know why now. Thanks for all the info. I knew I could count on you guy's.

Shane
Old 10-31-2002, 04:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Remington or Ruger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.