Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 LEVERevolution >

LEVERevolution

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

LEVERevolution

Old 05-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default LEVERevolution

I know I must be behind the times but I just noticed an advertisment on Hornadys Leverevolution ammunitions. I was hoping that someone here had tried the cartridge in the Marlin 30/30 and what they may have thought of it.
It's advertised to be faster, exceptionaly accurate, and harder hitting.
Well . . .of course their not going to say otherwise, so I wanted some input from hands on experiance.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: LEVERevolution

Bro. Mack, I haven't shot that ammo yet. I normally chamber a Fed. 170gr NP for my first shot and the FN's in the tube. The only other ones which I have shot in the .3-30, is PMC Eldorado "Star Fires"
Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey leaf,
I posted this a few weeks ago after i bought a few boxes. Hope it helps

Hey Guys,
Thought I'd share some results I had with the new Hornady Leverevolution ammo out of my Marlin 30-30

My favorite gun I own is the Marlin in 30-30 but it was never as accurate as my 243 or my 270

I only shoot factory loads for now and have kept fairly good records trying to find which brand shoots best for me. Previously the Remington Corelokt was the most accurate at an average of 2.75" groups over the last 4 groups. This was compared to Winchester and Federal all in 150 grain.Not that good but OK for shots at 100 at a deer

This weekend I tried the new Hornady ammo. The 4, three shot groups were 2.0, 1.0, 1.25 and 1.50 inches (i round to the 1/4 inch with my ruler)
That seems like a pretty solid improvement with the new ammo.

From what I understand the new ammo stretches the usefullness of the 30-30.

Just wanted to share some info

Old 05-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used it in my .444 Marlin. So far so good. I've only shot 1 box, but my best was just over a 1 inch group. I sighted in at 3 inches high / 100 yards.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't look like many have tried them, but I appreciate the replies I have. I believe I will buy a box or two and give them a go.

Reb: I've heard of folk doing that and it sounds like an idea. The only thing I would wonder about is mixing ammunition types as far as the group I could expect once the first shot is fired. I don't know why that would bother me much tho as I have seldom ever gotten or needed a second shot on deer.

Danny, I'm like you in that the 30/30 is my favorite rifle . .in fact I have several of them and may buy another. I usually go with the 06 or my 270 tho anywhere I have some distance expected.
It seems like you liked the Hornadays so I will try them myself. I would love to be confident enough with my load to use my 30/30 more often. It's a mind thing mostley because I have consistantly killed deer everywhere and at the same ranges that I hunt with the other rifles. The Remington Corlokt has also digested in my Marlins the best also.

Bugs, I appreciate the reply and its good to know that they are functioning well for you. I'm pretty hyped over the prospect of improved performance. Thanks for yor reply also.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:05 PM

A guy at my gun range today had a 30-30 and i belive he was using the new ammo. At 200 yards he hit a 6inch steel plate with a scope on his gun on the first try.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM

Wish they made this stuff in .32win special. Oh well 170 grain Corelocks it still is.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Spike

I will be trying this ammo in my new 336C. I just became aware of it too. I did a little on line research and found one particular site that made good sense. http://www.realguns.com/archives/120.htm I'll let you read it and decide for yourself. It helped me decide if I wanted to try it.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Can these Hornaby rounds be bought in hollow point? I am strictly a 30-30 Marlin man as well and wouldn't mind checking them out. The range I go to is only 50 yds but I'm getting groups of 1" with Winchester 150 gr.H.P.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Can these Hornaby rounds be bought in hollow point? I am strictly a 30-30 Marlin man as well and wouldn't mind checking them out. The range I go to is only 50 yds but I'm getting groups of 1" with Winchester 150 gr.H.P.
IbelieveHornadys whole point of the polymer tip is better aerodynamicsthan hollow points and flat noses.

If I hunt with my 30-30 this year (which I probably will), I will be shooting the Leverevolutions. I had a couple of bad experiences with hollow points and soft points last season and have been looking for a new bullet anyway. The added range with these bullets really doesn't excite me much because I personallyonly intend my 30-30for 100 yard or less situations. If I want to shoot 200 yards or know a 200 yard shot might present itself, I will take my 300 WSM. I firmly believe that the 200 yard claimwill wind upmaking alot of people chase wounded deer by trying questionable shots from their 30-30's. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: LEVERevolution

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.