HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   .25 wssm (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/142645-25-wssm.html)

outdoorsmen 05-16-2006 07:50 AM

.25 wssm

I was just wondering what guys are using the .25 wssm for. I was thinking about getting one in a model 70 stealth but I really don't know what i would use it for here in Illinois. in others words, I need to be talked into the idea.

hardcorehunter 05-16-2006 08:42 AM

RE: .25 wssm

IMO I wouldn't want one. The ammo will be obsolete soon. Get into reloading for it or stock pile the factory ammo.

biscuit jake 05-16-2006 08:23 PM

A few have gone out locally for pick up driving yote snipers. I think they were concerned about wind and longer ranges. I reckon deer would fall to it as well. I would be interested in the round in a single shot. Or perhaps the 6 mm BR. As for longevity, I wonder myself. Winchester put the wssms out and folded up their tent. Not a good sign. If if is kicking in 3 years, I might go for one.

James B 05-17-2006 04:51 PM

Though its future is unsure, it should be a fine deer and large varmit rifle. It will do about anything the 25-06 and 257 Weatherby will do.

hardcorehunter 05-17-2006 04:56 PM

I had a 25.06 and I liked it. Shot a few mule deer out west with it. Also a good varmint round, but I think myself that a .270 will do what it doesbut better. Just my opinion fellas.

jcchartboy 05-18-2006 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

IMO I wouldn't want one. The ammo will be obsolete soon. Get into reloading for it or stock pile the factory ammo.
At least you couched the statement by using the "IMO" moniker. However, to imply that this ammo will be obsolete "soon" is simply not based in fact...(or perhaps it is and Iam wrong, in which case you could giveme some factsproving you are right)

For example, when was the last time a comparable number of firearms was produced in a single caliber in such a short time, and how long was it before ammo was no longer commercialy produced for it? Secondly, what is the average time span between the cessation of acommerciallyproduced firearm in a specific caliber, and the cessation of the production of the corresponding ammo.

If you can answer some of these questions on a factual basis then I could presume that your opinion is based on industry data and in a commercially significant basis.

oldelkhunter 05-19-2006 07:15 AM

For example, when was the last time a comparable number of firearms was produced in a single caliber in such a short time, and how long was it before ammo was no longer commercialy produced for it? Secondly, what is the average time span between the cessation of acommerciallyproduced firearm in a specific caliber, and the cessation of the production of the corresponding ammo.
When was the last timethat the original designer/manufacturer of a cartridge went out of business within 2years of introducing a cartridge. Really doesn't look good for it but who knows .

hardcorehunter 05-19-2006 08:46 AM

Look at win mod 70's and how fast they sold out when the closing was announced. The only thing that still sits on dealers racks are these wssm's. If they are such a hot idea how come they aren't flying off of the shelves. You would think that people would want these to have a little winchester history. My LGS said that some distributors are talking about offering if they buy 5 wssms that the sixth will be for free. My dealer has been in business for 30 years and he won't touch a wssm as they don't sell. The originator of the thread works hard for his money and he asked for advise and I would like to offer some advise IMO. Like oldelkhunter said, the company that invented the wssm closed.

retrieverman 05-19-2006 04:11 PM

I have no experience with the gun or caliber, but if you decide that you want one, PM me. My son's ag teacher, who is not a hunter or a evengun guy, bought the exact gun about a year ago and may have only shot it once. I am pretty sure he would gladly part with it, and you could probably get a decent deal. Let me know if you are interested, and I will call him.

jcchartboy 05-19-2006 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter
When was the last timethat the original designer/manufacturer of a cartridge went out of business within 2years of introducing a cartridge. Really doesn't look good for it but who knows .
Oldelk,

I am sure you are well aware, it was only one manufacturer of the guns that went out of business. The ammo manufacturer involved in the design, and the second original manufacturer, (Browning), are still going strong.

Look at win mod 70's and how fast they sold out when the closing was announced. The only thing that still sits on dealers racks are these wssm's. If they are such a hot idea how come they aren't flying off of the shelves. You would think that people would want these to have a little winchester history. My LGS said that some distributors are talking about offering if they buy 5 wssms that the sixth will be for free. My dealer has been in business for 30 years and he won't touch a wssm as they don't sell. The originator of the thread works hard for his money and he asked for advise and I would like to offer some advise IMO. Like oldelkhunter said, the company that invented the wssm closed.
First, as mentioned above your statement "the company that invented the wssm closed." is completely incorect. Itwas Winchester Ammo that designed the cartridges. (As you probably know they are a completely seperate business from Winchester firearms.)

Secondly, none of thisanswers any of the questions I referenced above, and has little to do with the original topic...25 wssm's...

You can clarify me if I am wrong...are "all these guns" that you discussing 25 wssm's...I highly doubt it...

Once again if you have any actual data concerning the business factors that would lead to this (the 25 Wssm) cartidge being discontinued I would love to hear it...I will gladly admit you are right if you can produce some meaningful data...

As for the prices/availabilty of those Model 70 WSSM's you were discussing....they are no different than any other gun...low end models, will always be the last to sell in any collectors market....

Ask your gunsmith how many Model 70 Featherweight stainless 25 wssm's he can pick up at/below cost....I can tell you...none!