Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SLUG QUESTION >

SLUG QUESTION

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SLUG QUESTION

Old 04-30-2006, 01:05 PM

Default SLUG QUESTION

Hey Gang, This may sound dumb but here goes... I'm shooting a 835 w/ a factory rifled barrel cantlvr. scope mnt ect. The gun was not bore sighted, so I set the target up @ a little over 25 yards fired 2 rounds both cut 1 hole, adjusted ,cleaned the gun shot 1 rnd made another adjustment, shot 2 rnds both bullseyes cut 1 long hole, cleand again shot 1 round -same as last 2, heres the problem when I moved the target out to 50 yrds no groups at all! some shots were high some were low ect. then I ran out of slugs! the slugsI used were brenneke ko1oz sabots, what wt. slug would be the best for deer and bear ?Also trying to stay with 2 3/4" shells too! Could it have been me too! can slugs go that crazy in 25 yrds?[:@] thanks joe...
Old 04-30-2006, 01:46 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: SLUG QUESTION

Most likely, you should be about 1" low at 25 yards with those slugs. Right on and you might be hitting high at 50. Remember, every adjustment at 25 is twice that at 50 and 4 times that 100.

Old 04-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

heres the problem when I moved the target out to 50 yrds no groups at all! some shots were high some were low ect.
You need to qualify this statement. How high/low? My initial thought is that if your groups were less than 3-4" at 50yds, that is most likely normal for your setup. (Not that you couldn't shrink that, only that your that your eqiupment is not at fault.)
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BEARBUSTER66

Hey Gang, This may sound dumb but here goes... I'm shooting a 835 w/ a factory rifled barrel cantlvr. scope mnt ect. The gun was not bore sighted, so I set the target up @ a little over 25 yards fired 2 rounds both cut 1 hole, adjusted ,cleaned the gun shot 1 rnd made another adjustment, shot 2 rnds both bullseyes cut 1 long hole, cleand again shot 1 round -same as last 2, heres the problem when I moved the target out to 50 yrds no groups at all! some shots were high some were low ect. then I ran out of slugs! the slugsI used were brenneke ko1oz sabots, what wt. slug would be the best for deer and bear ?Also trying to stay with 2 3/4" shells too! Could it have been me too! can slugs go that crazy in 25 yrds?[:@] thanks joe...
If the groups opened up to an unacceptable size between 25 and 50 yards, the MOST LIKELY cause is that your gun just does not like that load! MOST slug guns, be they rifled or smoothbored, will shoot a particular load very well, but shoot poorly with other loads. The problem is to find the one it likes best,. and the ONLY way to do this is by shooting various types of slug loads. In a rifled barrel, I suggest you try some of the various sabot-bullet typeloads such as the Federal, Winchester, and Rejmington brands and see which one, if any, shoot best. For example, a friend and I both bought slug guns once at the same time. His was a Remington 870, mine an Ithaca Deerslayer. Mine shot great with Remington slugs, his did not. But his shot great with Brennekes, and mine threw these all over the place!

Just make sure all your scope mount screws, etc., are tight! Also make sure those Brennekes aren't leading up the barrel as you shoot. Lead buildup in the rifling sure raises hell with groups!!
Old 05-01-2006, 01:10 PM

Ok...maybe its just me, but I didnt think you were supposed to shhot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel......sabots through rifled, rifled through smooth. ive shot rifled through my rifled, and got patterns at 50 yards over 3'...maybe the rifling on the slug is differant than the barrel.....I've just found that sabots through a rifled barrel is the only way to go.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bear youare doing fine using a rifiled barrel with sabots are the way to go and the right way. If I might suggest using Lightfield slugs with that gun.
Every one I know uses them and with great success. I am using them myself right now. I have not killed a deer with them but I know many people who have. aif you have got a little time go to HuntingChat.NetForumOndex->Massachusetts forum and check out a few people who are restricted to using shotguns only in their state. And see what they have to say about them. Good Luck and don't give up half the fun is getting there. Mike
Old 05-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same shotgun, I don't use it anymore with slugs, I use the turkey barrel for turkey. When I sighted it years ago with Lightfeilds 2-3/4 I would be 2" high at 50 yards, dead on at 100 yards. But I came to find out for liability reasons you shouldn't use any slug in that shotgun thats either 2-3/4" or 3". I then went on to use Lightfields 3.5" slugs, they are loaded to equal there 3" slugs
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BEARBUSTER66
I'm shooting a 835 w/ a factory rifled barrel cantlvr. scope mnt ect.
I think an important fact was left out in this description. (Thx Bowhunter for pointing it out).Does this gun have a 3.5" chamber? If it does,I would not recomend that you continue to use the 2-3/4 loads. In fact this gun should not be shot with anything less than 3" sabots from a safety perspective, and in fact a 3-1/4 minimum is more realistic.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I absolutely 100% agree with chartboy. You should never shoot 2-3/4" slugs in a 3-1/2" chamber.
The round never seats in the chamber!!!!!

Please try the 3" Lightfield EXP's, or the Federal loads, they both shoot nice tight groups in my son's 835.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 05-01-2006, 05:29 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Bbuster try a bunch of different type of slugs, you'll find that your gun will like one or two different types. What shoots good in one gun might not be good in another. Rich

Quick Reply: SLUG QUESTION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.