Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Accelerator ammo >

Remington Accelerator ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Accelerator ammo

Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Remington Accelerator ammo

Has anyone used this line of ammo?? I was thinking about purchasing some for my .30-06, but have some concerns about how it may melt the nylon cased (at over 4000 fps)sabot onto my barrel, and not sure what to use to clean the gun.
I was thinking about the Remington 30-06 Saboted Accelerator ammo in 55 grain

Accuracy?
Cleaning?

THANKS!!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington Accelerator ammo

i have some but ican say that i have only shot one round to see how it works. over the summer i will shoot more, i found a place that sells them for a reasonable price. i shot the one round to see how it shot in comparison to a full weight load. it shot 2 in low at 110 yards so it should be seriously flat shooting. i wouldn't think the plastic should be a problem. the sabots are made from plastic much like shotgun wads and you don't have that problem with shotguns. you should be able to clean it just the same.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be expecting great accuracy with them. They are minute of coyote at 100 yards, but you won't be hitting gophers at 300.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used some 30/30 Acceleratorsback in the late 80's and had good luck.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:12 PM

I remember when they were fairly popular when I was younger. I had a savage 30-06 and was thinking of getting some but heard the same things. Accuracy is not very good out of most guns. If you want a 22-250 just get one.

I really didn't think my regular 150 silver tips were that bad. They shot plenty flat for me at the distances I wanted to use them.

Paul
Old 05-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Barrel life is greatly enhanced as the sabot resin material has less frictional wear against the rifling. Also the barrel rifling does not have a build up of copper or lead residues from bullets. Since the bullet is incased in the sabot, while traveling down the rifle barrel, it never touches the barrel. This means the bullet can be made entirely of soft material (or very hard material) and still be fired at high velocity with none of the usual barrel problems associated with using soft or very hard bullets materials at elevated velocity.
http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/March02.htm