Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Help, Accuracy >

Need Help, Accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Help, Accuracy

Old 04-13-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Need Help, Accuracy

History: WBY Accumark 7mm WBY Mag, Titanium Nitride coated, Sub MOA . Never could get it to shoot Subone inch groups of three. Sent back to Wheatherby and confirmed Sub MOA. Still can't get it to reproduce sub MOA. Tried two different scopes, both brand new, and different ammo. Shot today, first two shots practically in the same hole, third shot 1.75 to 2 inches high. Allowed to cool, hopeing a fourth shot would be back in the group of 2. No, same height, and an inch left. Adjusted scope to lower 2 inches, allowed to cool again (15 min) Again, two shots in same hole, one an inch left. It has shot two shots in the same hole (almost), but never a third producing a Sub MOA group. Regardless of barrel temp or shot order(sometimes 1 and 3rd shot good, or 2 and 3rd). I can cosistently and repeatedly shoot great groups with my 30 378 and 338 378 WBYs, so I highly doubt shooter error. Any opinions welcome?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help, Accuracy

Sounds like a bedding issue.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Are you shooting off of a bi-pod, or a bag?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did weatherby provide you with the load that the gun supposedly shoots sub moa with?It sounds like the weatherby accuracy isn't worth the paper that it is written on.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:59 PM
bigcountry

Sometimes if using bipods, you can get high shots. Let us know if your using bipods or not. For me its desirable to use softer sandbags. I had alot of trouble shooting real well and accurate with my 300RUM's from bipods.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jhunter111:

How many1" groups have you shot? If you shot more thanone 1" groups, the rifle should have the potential to shoot Sub-MOA groups.

What kind of scope mounts are you using? Since your fliers occur atdifferent firings durring three shot groups, Ithink it's yourmounts. I have seen rifles do the same thing, andthey had scope mounting problems.

Ask Weatherby what kind of ammo they used to test the rifle, what rest they used, what scope and mounting system they used, and how they tested it, so you can repeat the test perfectly. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:50 AM

I'm shooting off bags. Mounts are Talley, from WBY. The first scope was a new 4.5 14x Leupold VX 111. Which I sent back and they did rebuild the inside, remounted and it was better but still not right. Another new scope, same type andbrand on there now. I've never used the talley mounts before, always Luepold on other rifles, so that is new. I called Talley and got there specs on torque and correct mounting proceedure. So last time I shot, the first two shots were as I said, just about in the same hole, then all the rest were approx. two inches higher, which I eventually adjusted back down with the scope. Is this from something moving, or are the first two the result of a clean gun / bore ?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:56 AM

I did use ammo WBY used, still no luck. I've probably ran 60 to 80 rounds through it, and I did get maybe two consecutive 3 shot groups to be under the inch. What kind of patterns would I get if it was something with the gun, vs with the scope or mounts?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:59 AM

WBY uses there own range scope and I assume with Talley mounts. I could return the gun with my scope and see what they can do with it.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jhunter111:

I think the symptoms point to the mounting system. It sounds like a good idea to send it back toWeatherby the waythe rifle sits now. I wish I could be more help. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need Help, Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.