Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning A-Bolt w/ BOSS compensator >

Browning A-Bolt w/ BOSS compensator

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A-Bolt w/ BOSS compensator

Old 10-26-2002, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Browning A-Bolt w/ BOSS compensator

I've been looking at the Browning A-Bolt as possibly my next rifle. I really like the action, it seems exceptionally strong and it's very smooth. I also like the 60deg bolt and three lug lockup. It's fit and finish is really very nice, and I like that they offer the Eclipse version with a laminate thumbhole stock.

My question involves the BOSS muzzlebrake. The Eclipse 1000, which is the rifle I want, is only chambered in .300 Win Mag which is a little bigger than I had intended to go. It also includes the BOSS muzzle brake as standard. The Browning literature talks about how the BOSS can be adjusted (screwed in or out) to "tune" the barrel and achieve tight groups regardless of ammo. It also claims to afford a 30% reduction in recoil (with the associated increased muzzle blast and noise, which isn't a big deal to me).

I'm always sceptical of sales brochures, as they sometimes tend to exaggerate their claims a little.

My questions are then:

Is the BOSS muzzle brake system really effective in tuning the barrel and how does it work?

Does the brake provide a noticable reduction in recoil? How would the recoil of the BOSS equipped .300WinMag compare to other other .30 cal rifles?

Overall, how does the Browning A-Bolt compare to other rifles in the $500-1000 price range (i.e. Rem 700, Win Model 70, Ruger 77, etc...)?

Thank you for your responses,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 10-26-2002, 01:52 PM

Default RE: Browning A-Bolt w/ BOSS compensator

I have a Browning White Gold Medallion. Yes the Boss is effective. Yes it does reduce muzzle flip. It reduces flip by allowing the escaping gases to control the muzzel flip. when it is turned in or out (tuned) it changes the frequency of the barrel. On the down side of it,it adds apparent length to the barrel and a lot of sideways blast.
As far as 30% reduction in felt recoil, I believe it, but I have no way of telling. If you unscrew the boss and shoot the rifle there is a very noticable difference in recoil and group.
I like it because it lets me shoot the bullet weight that I want to and still get a tight group.
I have a QUE tuneable muzzle brake on a Browning. It operates the same basic way. You screw it all the way in (100 clicks), then back out 50 clicks. you're now at half way. you shoot a 3 shot group then turn in 5 clicks. You keep doing this until you find the right spot.
With Brownings Boss following their instructions you go right to the correct spot(minor adjustments either in or out).
Hopes this helps

Edited by - diamond DOA on 10/26/2002 15:01:03
Old 10-26-2002, 08:40 PM

We all have differing opinions and mine is not intended to offend. However, you did ask. Personally I feel the boss system is an unnecessary gadget. Oh, I know it does work but on a hunting rifle, how many want to be bothered? Any of the Winremrugs will give you 1 1/2 in. MOA out of the box and some will do much better especially if you reload and find the right bullet/powder combination. Being able to shoot a 1/2 group on the bench wont mean beans on a cold day in the bush from a sitting or kneeling position. As for the muzzle blast it is substantially more and will certainly damage your hearing in short order without real good hearing protection. This is not to mention how unpopular you'll be at the range or with anyone standing anywhere nearby. If the recoil is bothersome install a Pachmayr Decelerator. A poll on the Boss System topic/question would be interesting? gg.

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."

Edited by - goodguy on 10/26/2002 21:44:40
Old 10-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeap they sure are loud. I have a buddy who has a boss on his 300, it barks and really makes the range guys glare. To be honest he doesn't really think it does a lot for accuracy, but it reduces the recoil for sure.

I was looking at a-bolt 7 mg but it had a boss, so I decided on a Rem 700 7 mg instead. I really didn't see the reason to spend the extra cash. I am a southpaw, so my choices were very limited. I didn't want to spend the bank on a gun that I sometimes don't even use due to other weapons/seasons.

I have heard magnaporting, acheives better results for the same or less cash. Honestly I don't know.

But what really p's my pal off is my gun shoots as good as his Boss. I did do a trigger job, which helps a lot.

If you like the gun and it has a boss then go for it. If it is something you don't really want or need, than just keep looking. It always comes down to personal choices and that should be the basis of a decision not brochures or others.

Good Luck.

Old 11-11-2002, 07:14 PM

i agree with most everything said. i bought and got rid of 2 browning boss combos. the boss is not intended to reduce recoil but is intended to cut down on barrel vibration for accuracy.i got the browning lightening blr 7mag. it is the lever action series and is very accurate and made well.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I owned a boss equipped rifle and will never own another.The boss reduces recoil but is extremely loud.I find that with the right load my other rifles are just as accurate as the boss equipped rifle was.Boss equipped rifles also have shorter barrels so they produce less velocity than the rifles without the boss.As far as the a-bolt is concerned I much prefer the 700bdlss detatchable mag as They have a simpler quicker magazine and don't have a tang safety which I find awkward.I also prefer the 700 trigger.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 11/11/2002 21:13:56
Old 11-11-2002, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

I have to weigh in here. I’ve read the Browning explanations and have experience with an Eclipse 1000. First there are two boss’s (BOSS and BOSS CR(Conventional Recoil)) offered by browning. One is ported while the other is not, but their mass is the same. The ported version will reduce the felt recoil to approximately that of a 30-06. This really is not that important when you look at the weight of the Eclipse 1000. It is a hoss, big and heavy. Use the ported boss at the range with hearing protection (plugs and muffs in this case) to zero in, then change to the non-ported version to verify point of impact and go hunting. The important thing about the boss is the adjustable weight at the end of the barrel. Think of it as a counter balance or tuning weight. By miniscule adjustments you can change the harmonics of you barrel. Now, why is this important? You pick the ammo or hand load and tune your gun to that particular round. Ever had a riffle that just would not group with the round you wanted to use? With in reason, that situation is eliminated. You don’t have to be a dedicated hand loader that spent hundreds of hours for the perfect round-rifle combination any more. Buy the rifle and about five boxes of yor favorite ammo from the same lot number, and then hit the range. My brother has an Eclipse 1000 and has shot several weights and brands of ammo from it and has yet to find one he can’t tune to ¾” at 100 yards. His current favorite is the horaday ammo and I’ve seen his ¾” at two hundred yards groups with this combo.

PS Anyone with an old boss can call browning and get the BOSS CR (Conventional Recoil) to eliminate the extra muzzle blast in the field

Mike
Old 11-11-2002, 10:43 PM

Yes the BOSS does shoot tight groups with factory ammo. I have a Composite Stalker in 7MM Mag. If all I could get is 1/2" groups out of it I would toss it the garbage. I've never gotten 3 shots into one hole yet, but I've got a few targets with 2 shots in one hole, third shot opened up group to a figure "8". One of the guys at our range has a Medalion in .308 that more than one person has shot 3 rounds into one hole at 100 yrds. The muzzle brake BOSS reduces recoil, the 7MM feels less than my .270 with light loads. As far as velocity loss, if I experiment with different powders I can get factory velocities staying within maximum powder loads. Everybody has a different opinion on accuracy. I like to know that the spot I shoot at is where I'll hit, not within a 4 1/2" circle at 300 yrds. Sure, you can get an accurate rifle from the factory (Remington, Winchester, Savage), but it's a gamble. The BOSS does take some time to tune with some loads, most of what I've tried came in within 30 shots.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:24 AM

i have a browning medallion chambered in 30-06sprg. BEST GUN I HAVE EVER OWNED ! ! !
the bolt is slick as snot and it is a shooter. i get 1.080" groups a 100yds with this gun and i never had a gun do that right off the shelf.
i have people who like the BOSS and others who say it is not worth it.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

In a Long action the A bolt is preferable to the short action I own being much smoother. Very accurate rifles regardless of whether the Boss is used or not but with the boss you can tune the rifle to shoot the load you want to shoot and it will shoot optimally. It works by controlling barrel harmonics simplified explanation(keeps the muzzle from whipping around excessively). It is not a gadget like others say if that were the case 90% of the aftermarket crap sold to riflemen fall into that same category . I don't personally want the noise nor would a hunting buddy or guide sitting next to me. This weekend there were a few club members(same family) at the range shooting 338 Abolts with Bosses and they were shooting some incredible groups with factory Federal 210 partition loads. My only gripe was the noise like I said before. You can try the CR system like a friend of mine has and is pleased with the results and the noise level is cut down substantially

Quick Reply: Browning A-Bolt w/ BOSS compensator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.