Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pillar bedding >

Pillar bedding

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pillar bedding

Old 04-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pillar bedding

Does anyone know anything about pillar bedding.I am looking to buy a new rifle(savage-lefthanded) and noticed that the syn. stocks are dual pillar bedded and the wooden ones weren't.Will this make a big difference in accuracy?
Thanks, Bill
Old 04-04-2006, 11:14 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Pillar bedding

Sure, it can help accuracy. I usually pillar bed any of the cheaper synthetic stocks. Glass just won't cut it most of the time. Usually the forarm is not rigid enough. But if you glass bed a wood stock, and hog out the forarm, should be good enough. Pillar bedding only helps by solid contact to the stock but freefloating the barrel, if the same can be done with glass, it shouldn't make any difference in accuracy between the two.

Generally pillars are expensive to install. Sometimes running up to over 100 dollars where glass bed can usually be done much cheaper. And you can do it yourself.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 AM

It sure can't hurt! I'm a fan of piller bedding. If done properly, a piller bedded action is locked up solid and you don't have to worry about compression of the stock.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 PM

Pillars themself do not increase accuracy. they are a means to an end. That being freefloating the barrel and relieving stress points. doing this will increase accuracy.

Pillar bedding is quite easy. If you don't have one already get a Brownell's catalog. The sell adjustable pillars. I recomend these because it removes the necessity of milling the pillars to fit. Then all you have to do is drill the stock out to allow the pillars and epoxy them in place.

Glass bedding can accomplish the same thing. Though it is more difficult to hold the action in the proper position.

I like to do both. I relieve the stock around the barrel and action. Then I pillar bed the action in place. This give me a solid base. Then I glass bed the action and the first inch or so of the barrel in front of the action.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:56 PM

ShatoDavis is giving you good advice. I've found that adding pillars and bedding eliminates anyquestions andstabilizes the action in the stock. I haven't found the need to bed forward of the recoil lugmyself. I use threadedlamp pipe from the hardware store for pillars,I drill out the holes so that the lamp pipe threads in the hole then remove and coat with epoxy and threadback in. I use a dremel to cut to length and to contour to the action. Works well.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys.