Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cleaning Rifle Barrel >

Cleaning Rifle Barrel

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cleaning Rifle Barrel

Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cleaning Rifle Barrel

Just wondering what everyone's technique was for cleaning their rifles' barrels. I honestly feel like an idiot for asking this, as I've been around guns my whole life, shoot more than anyone I know, etc. To tell you the truth I very very very rarely clean my rifles' barrels and they all shoot very well. When I clean my rifles I run the brush down 'em a few times, then a wet patch a few times, then some dry patches.

My Tikka 243 is very fouled up at the moment, and it needs some special attention (2 years old and over 1,000rds put thru it). My Browning A-Bolt 7mm also needs a good cleaning as well.

So, I need to know the "proper" way to clean my rifles, what to buy, etc.

Yep, feel like an idiot here..[&o]
Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cleaning Rifle Barrel

i clean mine preeeeeety frequently....im particular about my guns.....i like to start with the bore brush...with my gun oil on it.....being i dont fire mass quantities of ammo for the most past......everything comes up fairly easily....and the oil loosens it and lubes the brush.....then a few dry patches...a oil patch.....and dry patches till they are clean....then if its being stored ill run one lightly oiled patch through it....your guns may need solvent.....probably a good copper solvent would be your best bet since thats most of the fouling from a smokeless cartridge....someone should recomend something better.....good luck....it should all come out with a little work and a good solvent...but i dont use solvents much at all so i cant help there
Old 03-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I just had a similar experience with bad copper fouling in a rifle I purchased used at a gun show recently. My findings:
(1) Regular Outer's does almost nothing.
(2) Outer's Copper Remover Works minimally.
(3) Butch's Bore Shine and
(4) Shooter's Choice Copper Remover worked fair
(5) Sweet's 7.62 Solvent got serious about the job. Follow the directions!! I then finished up the bore with J-B Bore Cleaning Compound. Once again, follow the directions, and be patient. It takes some time and elbow grease, particularly with the solvent remover.
Good scrubbin', and good luck................
Old 03-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've posted a lot on this subject in the past (you can do a search), but don't have the time or desire to right now. However, if you go to the following site and do a little searching around you'll find a lot of information on barrel cleaning:

www.6mmbr.com