Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Varmint/Target rifle and caliber suggestions >

Varmint/Target rifle and caliber suggestions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Varmint/Target rifle and caliber suggestions

Old 02-24-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Varmint/Target rifle and caliber suggestions

I now have all the deer,mosse guns I need. I'm now on a search for a decent, but not bank breaking varmint rifle.

The calibers I'm considering are the .22 hornet, .223 rem. I've ruled out the .22-250 as it looks like it burn too much powder to be economical. I'm guessing the same could be said for the .243 win and .25-06.

The H&R ultra rifle with the "24 barrel looks pretty cool.

Of course, loading for the .22 hornet would be real cheap.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:45 PM

Default RE: Varmint/Target rifle and caliber suggestions

Since you're a reloader, maybe look at the .17 remington (nothing like the new .17rimfires)

Personally a Savage in .223 would be hard to beat if economy is high on the list.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Powder lasts a while and really doesn't cost so much I really factor it into caliber decisions. $18 worth of powder lasts a while, even with a .25-06.

But, if you don't need a rifle for anything bigger than a varmint, there really isn't any need for the additional power of a .25-06, or really a .243 for that matter. The .223 is great for varmints. It shoots flat and has enough punch to knock down critters the size of coyotes further than 99% of hunters can effectively shoot.And though it willkill effectively atdistance,with the right bullet, it won't exit and damage hides even at close ranges. It's also pretty easy to load for and get tack-driving accuracy.

If you opt for the .22 Hornet, you may find yourself in situations where range is a limitation. The bullet is flying much slower and has less energy at the muzzle than the .223 has at 200 yards.

In reality, you can probably load for the .223 cheaper than the .22 Hornet because so many people are using the .223.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Varmint/Target
rifle and caliber suggestions

Old 02-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have the ultra varmit in the 223 shoots good. I would stay with the 223 Idea. Only thing about nef and H&r guns is it may need a trigger job I had one done on mine and got it down to a crisp 3lbs they are very heavy from the factory. Also im sure you could pick up a cheap bolt action in 223 if you looked around. either way good luck
Old 02-24-2006, 06:09 PM

if you've ruled out 22/250, i'd recommend .222 or .223, or maybe even the new .204 ruger. forget the hornet. it doesn't shoot flat enough, and runs out of legs. the .222 is an inherently ultra-accurate round. the .223 is not far behind, and is available in a huge range of rifles. the little rugerlooks like it will be a winner, and hasthe downrange energy characteristics of the 22/250, without burning the powder ( of course, you are limited to 40-grain projectiles).

the Tikka T3 Varmint is an excellent rig (not ultra heavy, but in my experience ultra accurate) for the money, and is chambered in .222 and .223.
the ruger is chambered for by Ruger (naturally!) and Remington. the Remington light varmint would be worth a look, or, if you want the weight, the VSSF ( er , varmint synthetic stainless fluted?) would be excellent. depends on your budget, i guess. the Sako laminated varmint is brilliant, but is getting expensive.

enjoy the search. it is always lot's of fun looking around.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

Like saladin said the .222 held loads of bench rest records for a long time. You could probably get a good.223 to kill bumble beas at 100 yards but you could get a .222 to kill flies. But they would both be hard on the pelts.

saladin, I am in Griffith NSW and looking for hunting opportunities (originally from Alberta Canada). Where are you at?

Robin
Old 02-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

VT if a 22-250 needs to much powder compared to a 223 or 222 then I think you should change your screen name to Thrifty Hunter. I cant see what little bit more powder you add to the 250 compared to the others making that much difference unless you shoot 100rnds a weekend or something.

I think a 223 would be just fine for what you are doing though. I have a 222 223 and a 22-250 and enjoy shooting all of them. Ive never been on that tight of a budget thought where I left my 250 at home to save a couple cents and shoot the 222.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your looking for a semi-automatic, why not consider an AR-15 in .223, my dad and I have one and you can add on target?varment barrels and customize in nicely.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage and Ruger both make 22 Hornets and I have been so tempted myself. They don't have the range of the 223 but then, you just have to decide how much range you need. They are even more quiet than the 223 which can be a factor depending on where you shoot. Since you reload, I don't think you can beat the triple deuce for accuracy and fun. I shot the socks off one. But rifle selection gets thinner. I used to handload hornady SX 45 grainers. Whee!

Quick Reply: Varmint/Target rifle and caliber suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.