Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ruger model 77 >

ruger model 77

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ruger model 77

Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Spike

Default ruger model 77

i have a old model 77 with tang safety. i was wondering if there was a adjustment for trigger pull. are is this a job for a gunsmith? the gun is probably a 1975 model as it was purchased in january 1976. thanks for your replies
Old 01-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ruger model 77

Im not really sure, but if you are in doubt its best to take it to a smith. Especially if you are trying to make it lighter, that way it falls under his respnsibilty if something goes wrong, i.e. gun fires when bumped ect. he should test all that stuff before the gun leaves his shop.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the one bad thing about the Rugers. The trigger has to be done by a gunsmith unless of course you can file and hone a trigger. You can also buy and aftermarket adjustabletrigger and install it yourself they are pretty easy to do but cost around 70ish bucks.

OR you could sell it to me and wouldnt need to mess with that trigger.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Spike

thanks for the replies . i was thinking that the allen screw on the bottom of the trigger might be for adjustment. if the adjustment was more diffcult than turning the allen screw i would not attempt it. it would go tothe gunsmith. i will probably do nothing to it as over the years i have killed everything from elk to whitetail with the trigger as is.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: harrell

thanks for the replies . i was thinking that the allen screw on the bottom of the trigger might be for adjustment. if the adjustment was more diffcult than turning the allen screw i would not attempt it. it would go tothe gunsmith. i will probably do nothing to it as over the years i have killed everything from elk to whitetail with the trigger as is.

When in doubt whether to S*** or go blind, close one eye and fart!Take it to a Gunsmith!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

harrell...I had mine adjusted before I bought it home from the gunshop in 1980...Except for cleaning and lubricating every few years I haven't messed
with it since...my youngest brother picked up a .270 a few years back used..it was also tang safety...I brought it home with me and mounted a scope that I wasn't using anymore...took it apart and cleaned the bolt, barrel, trigger assembly etc. and just kinda checked it out...used a digital fish scale,trigger was breaking at about 5 pounds...I adjusted to about 3-3.5 pounds...using the allen screw you are talking about...

btw...I remove the barrel and clean the trigger assembly with disc brake cleaner...then lube...You would be suprised at the dirt that can buld up in that area...I do this every other year...every 5-6 years I reseal the stock inside and out.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: harrell

You are correct the allen screw you reffered to is for trigger pull adjustment.Turning it counterclockwise will reduce the weight of pull to as light as 2 lbs.
Test with a weight & a fired spent primer cartridge to confirm proper setting.
As for hunting do not set too light. 2 lbs. IMO is way too light for a hunting rifle.

Best Wishes