Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 checking a firearm at an airport >

checking a firearm at an airport

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

checking a firearm at an airport

Old 12-25-2005, 07:06 AM

Default checking a firearm at an airport

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this? Can i use any hard case as long as i can lock it or does it have to be certain ones? any advice would be much appreciated. thanks
Old 12-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: checking a firearm at an airport

Gyrene, you need to check this out with the actual airline you have tickets for! Get the name and position of the person who gives you the answer, so you won't get to the airport and get a nasty surprise!

Some airlines are a real PITA when it comes to transporting firearms, and others are very helpful!
Old 12-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have used american airlines. 1 time was a month after 9/11 and no problems and again on Dec 1 2005 no problem either...
Old 12-25-2005, 12:29 PM

Make sure you have a crush/throw/toss proof hard case.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:48 PM

so do i need an aluminum case? i have a hard plactic case as of right now but i don't know if it is crush/throw/toss proof
Old 12-25-2005, 09:43 PM

I take 10 or so flights a year for work, I alwaystake a firearm with me of some sort,and the procedure is pretty much the same now in every airport I've been to.

You only need a sturdy hard sided case, material doesn't matter, that you can lock. Do you want your gun(s) getting beat up in transit? Some baggage handlers make the samsonite gorilla look like a geisha girl.

You will have to declare that you are checking a firearm, the ticketing agent will check the gun to see if it is loaded (If I'm flying with a rifle I cut out a placefor the bolt to lay in plain view in the case), ask you where the ammo is, give you a little orange card to fill out and put inside the case. You will have to lock the case (get a pair of locks that are keyed alike) and very likely immediately hand over your keys soa TSA agent can go through the case again, buncha crap.

Ammunition cannot be put inthe casewiththe firearm, but if you are putting your firearm case in another bag the ammunition can be in that bag.

Don't quote me on the airline weight limits on ammo, but it is somewhere around 11 or 12lbs.

Get to the airport a few minutes earlier, like 10 or 15, than normal in case there is a hang up and you have to wait for a TSA agent or a qualified ticket agent.

You cannot use curbside check in if you have a firearm.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never had the opportunity to do this yet, but I'd feel so weird walking into an airport with a gun case.
So, you just stroll in and get in line at the ticket counter?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

So, you just stroll in and get in line at the ticket counter?
Yep, that's right.

It's really not that big of a deal to fly with firearms. CBK outlined it real well what you need to do to fly with firearms. Basically you just gotta tell them, have them check it, keep ammo seperate from the firearm, and get on the plane.

If this is a black powder firearm you can not take loose powder onto the airline. You must purchase new powder at your destination and then leave it there.

Also you can not carry the ammunition in you carry on luggage. It must also be checked at the ticket counter.

In addition to locking the case with pad locks I like to either strap it closed or duct tape it closed on both ends just in case the latches pop open.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:08 AM

I am taking a Turkey hunting trip in March. Should I break dwon the shotguns or leave them intact?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there usually a seperate room for checking a firearm, or is done out in the open at the ticket counter?

Quick Reply: checking a firearm at an airport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.