Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bolt Action .22 >

Bolt Action .22

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt Action .22

Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bolt Action .22

I thinking about buying a 22 for plinking and target practice. What rifle is a good shooter, nice trigger,etc.?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:06 AM

Default RE: Bolt Action .22

I don't think you could go wrong with a Marlin bolt action. I've got a .22 mag I've had for about 12 years and it shoots well and has perfomed great. The last time I took it to the range I shot a five shot group that could be covered by a dime at fifty yards. And, the trigger is good.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Savage accu trigger

And that's the expensive one. You could get a model without the accu trigger as well and get a rifle basix trigger for around 60 bucks. I would suggest the same thing with the marlin if you want a good trigger.

The rugers are pretty nice as well, but more expensive. However they feel more like a centerfire in size and weight.

Paul
Old 12-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

I checked the Savage web site this afternoon, they look interesting. What's the opinion on the accu trigger? They have some package deals that include a 4 X scope that were reasonably priced.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 PM

I wouldn't get a package deal, those scope will most likely be crap. Just get a gun and get a better scope for it seperate. I've never shot the accutriger, but they have to be better than anything currently offered on rimfire, at least in that price range. The regular marlin and savage triggers pretty suck.

Paul
Old 12-22-2005, 11:17 PM

The accu-triggers are very nice. Basically like the Glock pistol triggers except you can adjust it from 3-6 lbs. Savages are also nice rifles.

My favorite production bolt .22 is the CZ 452 http://www.czusa.com/01.detail.php?id=1 Great rifles!

Old 12-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that the scope is probably not great,but might be o.k. for a plinker. The CZ looks like a nice piece.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Criggster

I don't think you could go wrong with a Marlin bolt action. I've got a .22 mag I've had for about 12 years and it shoots well and has perfomed great. The last time I took it to the range I shot a five shot group that could be covered by a dime at fifty yards. And, the trigger is good.

My son also has a Marlin, but I have to agree withPaul on this one!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 PM

The CZ are great guns as well, as are the anschultz (sp?). I just didn't know what your price range was is all.

I have a savage 17HMR and its great, but the trigger was kind of nasty when I got it. I also had a savage bolt action .22, had the same trigger. There is a mod you can do to them to make them better, but an after market trigger would be better yet, or the newer accu trigger models.

I heard marlin has a bit better trigger than the savage, but they are still pretty nasty from what I hear. What do you want for those prices though? the guns shoot well though. In the 17HMR's the guns are pretty much the same in performance, looks and price. I would assume the .22's are the same way.

Paul
Old 12-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I'd like to keep the price in the $300-400 range including the scope. I'm only going to use the gun for target practice in good weather so I don't need a top of the line scope. A Bushnell trophy or a comparable scope will be fine. I like the idea of the accu trigger, but the CZ looks sweet.

Quick Reply: Bolt Action .22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.