HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Rem 700 bolt disassembly (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/120066-rem-700-bolt-disassembly.html)

Alsatian 11-07-2005 09:41 AM

Rem 700 bolt disassembly

How do you disassemble the Remington Model 700 ADL bolt for cleaning? In doing a Google search on this topic I found several people selling a bolt disassembly tool for this model. Is a special tool required to disassemble/assemble this bolt safely?

stubblejumper 11-07-2005 10:01 AM

RE: Rem 700 bolt disassembly

No special tool is required.When you remove the bolt you will see two projections at the bottom rear of the bolt.I simply hook one of these on my loading bench and pull on the bolt.The firing pin spring will compress which will allow the firing pin follower to project beyond the bolt shroud exposing a slot on one side.I simply place a penny in this slot and release the bolt.The penny will keep the firing pin follower in place so you can unscrew the firing pin assembly.However before you unscrew the firing pin assembly take note of it's position in the bolt so you can return it to the same position upon reassembly.Simply degrease and clean the inside of the bolt and reinstall the firing pin assembly.Properly position the firing pin assembly in the bolt and remove the penny the same way that you installed it.

Roskoe 11-07-2005 01:26 PM

Wear safety glasses when you do this. If something slips, the spring is under a lot of tension and it can hurt you.

bigcountry 11-07-2005 01:54 PM

As my ole buddy oldelkhunter said, all you need is a bumper on a truck to move thespringand a dime to hold the spring with the slot.

bigcountry 11-07-2005 01:55 PM

Thats the reason you got to love a sako bolt. Can do it in your sleep. But why don't they make a tool so I can take apart my browning.

bigbulls 11-07-2005 06:52 PM

The tool is so that you can take the bolt all the way apart with out having the firing pin become a missile. After you get the bolt body seaperated from the insides the disassembly tool then screws onto the bolt shroud and compresses the mainspring for 100% complete disassembly.

For simple field striping of the bolt do as described above.

skeeter 7MM 11-07-2005 11:27 PM

You mean this tool for your 700!!!
|
|
|
\/

I got one of these a number of years ago included with my Rem 700MLS. It actually worked good but I misplaced it and went back to the method Stubblejumper describes.

Briman 11-08-2005 12:49 AM

Wear safety glasses when you do this. If something slips, the spring is under a lot of tension and it can hurt you.
Yup, springs under tension are not your friend. I had a titanium firing pin from my 1911 part my hair at about mach 2 once, really made me reconsider my stance on wearing safety glasses while working with springs.