Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornday 7mm Interbond or SST?? >

Hornday 7mm Interbond or SST??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornday 7mm Interbond or SST??

Old 11-03-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Hornday 7mm Interbond or SST??

I shoot hornady 139 ammo. what is the difference in the interbond heavy mag moly and the sst heavy mag molly. The ballistics are the same, so whats the difference in the bullet. Also, I want the rifle to hit dead zero at 300 yds, so where should it hit at 100 yds? On hornady's ballistic charts it hits dead zero at 200 yds. I use it to hunt deer in north alabama.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hornday 7mm Interbond or SST??

The interbond bullet has the core bonded to the jacket so it holds together better than the sst.That provides better penetration and weight retension.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

As far as trajectory, you didn't mention what you are shooting them out of. You would also have to know your velocity.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

The # 1 I had loved the heavier 175 gr. bullets, as well as the Encore that I own now. I load all of my rounds.

175 gr. Horn. Inter.
65 gr. of RL22
Fed. Cases
CCI Primers.

Works perfectly in my rifles.
NOT RESPONSABLE FOR ANY LOADS THAT WORK FOR ME.

hunter338
Old 11-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

From the outside they are almost identacle. But on the inside is where they are really different.

The SST is a conventional boat tail bullet with a plastic tip. The jacket is relatively thin and gradually thickens toward its base. It is not bonded in any way and at higher velocities the jacket and core can seaperate.

The interbond is a chemically bonded bullet with a plastic tip. The jacket starts out thin in order to initiate expansion then rapidly thickens to control the depth of expansion. The jacket is bonded to the lead core and even at very high velocities the jacket will remain intact with the core and will retain far more weight thanthe SST.

Here are the two side by side so you can get a look at the differances. The SST is on the right and the interbond on the left.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:38 PM

For several years I have used hornady BTSP 139 gr in my 7 mag. Never had a whitetail take a step after being shot. I decided to try the SST this year. I shot a doe in the chest last week with the new SST. The deer was at about 70 yds. The doe ran about a hundred yards. When I was cleaning it fragments of the SST were everywhere. Next weekend I am going to carry the Hornady BTSP with me. Some people say they love the SST while others hate them. I hate them. At a lower velocity they might be fine. But with a 7 mag be careful. Just my experience.