Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 1187 Slug Gun >

1187 Slug Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1187 Slug Gun

Old 11-13-2005, 09:47 PM

Default 1187 Slug Gun

My dad recently bought me a Remington 1187 with a canteliver barrel and a simmons 4X32 scope, cheapy from wal mart. He told me I can do w/e I want with it because its mine. I am looking to find the best combo in scope/ammunition/barrel that I can get out of this gun. Most of the guys at the range that have the best slug guns shoot single shots but where I hunt in the timber all Im worried about is being dead on from 0-75yds.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1187 Slug Gun

Well you don't even have to worry about the scope/barrel part of your "equation" cause you got the scope and barrel, right. So that's 2/3rds of the equaltion. right? (and the 1187 is a darn good gun, your father must like you a bit)

WRONGO!

Now the biggest part of the equation. The question of all questions! The question that there is not, ever, one single correct answer.

Every gun is different and likes different ammo. Sometimes same gun combos shoot just like another exact same gun combo with same ammo, sometimes you might get drastically different results.

My gun loves it, I think it's great ammo. Your gun can't pattern with it and you think it's garbage. Etc. Etc.

First you have to dial that sucker into some sort of grouping. You might want to have it bore sighted at a shop or just head to the targets. Either way, I would use cheaper ammo for initial patterning. You may be perfectly happy with the results you achieve and stay there. But if you want to know what loads get the absolute maximum from your set up, it's alot of trial and error ($$$). You would need to go out and get your assortment of slugs and sit and shoot and shoot and shoot. (Maybe ice the shoulder). With the absolute great assortment of slug offerings out there today you can easily spend a thousand dollars trying slugs and still not try them all (figuring 4 boxes/20 shots of each).

But I will tell you this. In my years, I think Remington guns/barrels work pretty darn good with Remingtom slugs. Therefore, I am recommending that you give the Remington BuckHammers a call. For the distances you cited, 2-3/4" loads. If they don't give you good results I would be suprised. Thay are a little new on the market, but the one thing I keep hearing and seeing about them is they are consistent and fly true (no tumblers or keyholing).

On the scope, is there a small diamond around the cross hairs? (Simmons Pro-Diamond recticle?). And where are you in IL?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Yeah it is the Pro Diamond, So the remington barrel and simmons scope is a good choice? I was just wondering because I have heard hastings is better, etc.... I have been checking out the ballistics charts on some slugs and most of them say around 1.5in.-2in. high at 50 and 75 and then back dead on at 100. All I really need is a slug that will go 0-75 as flat as possible. What kind of groups should I be getting? Is a 2in. group at 75 asking to much? Uncle Matt I am located in Highland,IL. Its closer to the south. Most of my hunting is either in Bond County or Randolph County.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:51 PM
bigcountry

You should have no problems getting minute of deer with 1187 rifled barrel. I have best luck with 2.75" copper solids and lightfields.