Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shooting low with scope adjusted all the way "up" >

Shooting low with scope adjusted all the way "up"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shooting low with scope adjusted all the way "up"

Old 10-30-2005, 10:23 AM

Default RE: Shooting low with scope adjusted all the way "up"

had the same problem with an encore barrel. try using the burris signature rings with the inserts to correct it before using your adjustments. these rings are about the best solution to your problem. they use a plastic sleeve inside the rings and can be substituted fro different widths to "shim" the scope without stressing it. good luck. pete
Old 10-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Mossberg 50164, which is essentially the 500, but came with interchangeable barrels, one rifled and one shot barrel. I sold the shot barrel and have no intentions of ever taking off the rifled barrel. It is NOT drilled or tapped. There is a plate that fitson top ofthe receiver and goes over both sides of the receiver, where it is bolted to the sides of the receiver. The top of the plate is elevated off the receiver to allow for open sights beneath the scope.

Here's what I did...

I adjustedthe elevation of the scope "up/down" back to roughly the middle from all the way "up," took off the tops of the rings and put a shim under the back, which consisted of a business card folded over one time, cut to fit the width of the bottom ring. Then I realigned the rings up with where they were before (you could see"lines"in the paint on the scope where the rings had been tightened), checked to see that the cross hairs were vertical and horizontal and not on some slant, and tightened up the screws again.

Now I need to shoot it again and see if it worked. Do you think two business card thicknesses will do the trick?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

In all honesty you have probably introduced some stress into your scope using your method.It may or may not be a problem.I would try the signature rings with the offset shims myself.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Plus the fact that what I used is essentially paper. When it gets wet, it will compress and I'm screwed again. I will look into getting those rings.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's an update....

I tried sighting it in with two business card widths under the back ring. Shot low, and with adjusting all the way to the top, hit just beneath the bottom of the paper. Then I put three in there and hit paper 4 inches low. So I tried to put 4 in there, but only one ring screw threaded on somewhat and the other was too short. When I shot, it hit slightly HIGH, but the one screw came out. Now I plan to get longer screws for the quick fix, but I want those POS align rings eventually. Nobody carries them near me and with shotgun season fast approaching, I'd rather get the longer screws and make sure Iam on and go with it until I have time to get a better fix in place.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

With four business cards under the scope at one ring,you will be introducing a great deal of torque into the scope tube.That torque may prevent the scope adjustments from working properly and could even damage the scope.Additionally with that much angle between the rings,scope to ring contact will be poor,and the scope could easily slide in the rings during recoil.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just ordered the Burris signature Z rings. The standard Burris signature rings wouldn't work on my receiver mount, which I believe is a standard weaver style with the "rail" the rings slides over. The Z rings do, and the woman assured me it comes with inserts.

I hope it works out! For those of you who suggested thesignature rings, does this sound right, the"Z" version of signature rings to fit my receiver mount?

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

think you could take a photo and post it of how you have the gun currently setup?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I may try to take a picture tonight and put it on here tomorrow.If I don't get the rings in by the end of the week (I'm leaving for hunting camp this weekend and will have to sight it in then), I won't have time to sight the gun in with the new rings before Maryland shotgunseason. In that case, I will probably have to go with longer screws for that back ring and go with the homemade shims.

Remember, the cheap tasco scope worked fine on the same mount and same rings, and neither the mount or bottom of the rings have been moved. Also, the guy at bassprosaid he boresighted the new scope to hit on paper when he mounted it on the old mount and rings.

Thanks forall the help. Theperson at the place I bought it said medium rings should work, so that's what is beingmailed to me...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is getting to be a nightmare. I went to Ace but they seem to think it is a no. 6 fine threaded screw and don't have any. If I don't get those rings by Saturday, I'll be in the woods with my muzzleloader during shotgun. I'm not a bad shot but like the comfort of knowing I can send another slug at one if needed...